Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hummingbirds (again)

I've just spent way too much time deleting and organizing my April photos, and I have narrowed down a few hummingbird pictures for you.


I wish I could tell you the names of these for sure, but I mix up the females, plus I'm totally confused between Rufous and Allen's right now. Anyway, the above is a hummingbird of some sort. :)


I've been able to get a better angle when I stand outside about 5 or 6 feet from the feeder and wait for them. I have to stay very still, of course, but they are fairly brave.


These are from just tonight. First I'm showing you a female just for comparison (assuming this is an Anna's, which I'm 75% sure of :)). She has a tiny patch of color on her throat.


And then... yay! (Doesn't it look like he's trying to pop out and startle me?) I hadn't seen a male Anna's in quite awhile and was just wondering about them the other day, so this was exciting. Obviously they are totally gorge (albeit slightly feminine) in the sunlight with their bright fuchsia heads/throats. This guy let me take his photo for awhile before he flew off, so of course I can't just show you one picture...


Not a great photo, but just funky enough that I wanted to post it here. He's literally diving in.




So pretty!!!



For a previous set of hummingbird photos, you may click here.

3 comments:

  1. I love the ones mid flight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, good comments, eh?

    The one that's popping out also looks to be giving you directions. :) These are great photos.

    -R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    Oh I guess it shows everyone that the posts were removed? I guess I should delete them again and it'll swipe it clean..I'm still learning.

    Oh they weren't bad, they were just part advertisement. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...