Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Wildlife

My apologies to those of you who have already seen these photos, but I thought they'd be fun to show everyone else. I'm fortunate enough to live on a small lake (pond, really), so there is some wildlife that I see right from my back door! (Get excited: I take lots of bird photos and will share those in the future! :P) I have always loved seeing animals in the wild, but getting a photo of them is an awesome bonus. A couple of weekends ago I had two sightings, and was able to take photos both times. These photos aren't great quality (I had to zoom all the way in, plus the morning sun was reflecting off the water), but that's not the point of this post. Okay! Here we go...


First, was the beaver! I don't think I've ever seen one in real life before, even though I live in The Beaver State.


Check out his adorable hands! He's probably eating pancakes.


The next day I saw an otter. He swam around in the part of the water closest to me, so I got plenty of photos. They all pretty much look like this one, though.

Just for the record, I have also seen deer and a nutria right in this vicinity. Oh and millions of squirrels, but they don't count. My current wildlife photo goal is to get a decent photo of a blue heron. I keep seeing them, but they always land so far away. I did get some okay heron photos at the coast years ago, but it's time for more. Meanwhile, I'm trying to train myself not to grab the camera every time a hummingbird eats from the feeder I have hanging. I really don't need a zillion copies of the basically the same photo (and same hummingbird, probably) on my computer.

11 comments:

  1. Great photos. :-)

    And nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike! So you are still alive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. At least I think so... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing photos!!! You did a great job =) Love this blog very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you can see the otter's whole body in that shot, even the part that is below water. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post had me rolling...loved it! Especially the comment about the beaver eating pancakes...that was hilarious!! Loved seeing the pictures right after you told us about it at lunch. What a neat place you have with all the photographic possibilities!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer: Sorry to comment so quickly, but I'm afraid I'll forget if I don't. :) Thanks for reading/liking/commenting!

    And speaking of photographic possibilities, I need to do a photo shoot of you sometime, if you're willing. I like practicing portrait photography.. I'm going to post a few of some recent "sessions" I've done soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, once you perfect the nutria, you can photograph me...shouldn't be too much different. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh brother! And I don't see enough nutria lately to really hone those photography skills. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I could get some ugly, fake teeth and slink around your backyard for a bit...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...