Monday, March 22, 2010

Chicken Breast Cutlets with Artichokes and Capers


Chicken Breast Cutlets with Artichokes and Capers

Such a creative name.

I made this for friends a couple of years ago and we all liked it a lot, as far as I know. :) (Why haven't I made it since?) I used this recipe, but I did a few things differently based on some reviews, preferences and what I had, so I'll post it as I made it:

About 1 cup whole wheat or white flour (I just put some in over the raw chicken in a dish and tossed the chicken in it, so who knows how much I actually used)
salt and pepper
2 pounds chicken breast tenderloins or strips
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 can quartered artichoke hearts (unmarinated, drained and rinsed)
1/4 cup capers (drained)
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus some sprigs for garnish
1 T cornstarch mixed with a bit of cold water (not sure if this actually helped once the chicken was in there, but I wanted to post it exactly as I made it :))

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine flour, salt and peppers. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour and shake off excess.
2. Heat canola oil and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook until golden brown on both sides, and no longer pink on the inside; set aside.
3. Pour in chicken broth and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan to dissolve the caramelized bits. Add cornstarch mix. Add artichoke hearts and capers, return to a simmer, and cook until reduced by half.
(NOTE: I couldn't tell that it was half or not, it seemed to just be taking too long so I eventually just added the chicken which had that flour coating, so it helped thicken things a LOT)
4. Place cooked chicken back into pan, and simmer in the sauce for a few minutes to reheat. Serve on a platter sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley.

The recipes shows it with pasta, but I decided I wanted rice. I cooked the rice over the stove like this (it's sort of the beginnings of rice pilaf):

Rice

Heat large pot.
Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil.
Pour in 2 cups of rice, stir to coat with oil.
Add 4 cups of water and 2 cubes of chicken bouillon.
Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally (but not too much or it'll get too starchy and be more like risotto - yuck).
I had to add (about 1 cup) more water later, but I guess it depends on how hot you have it and how much it's kept covered, so use your best judgment. I'm not very "by the book" about cooking, so I tend to have to correct things like this. :P
When the rice is no longer crunchy inside, you can turn the burner to very low and leave it there covered for awhile to keep it hot, and it'll be fine.

Muy delicioso!

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...