Thursday, March 18, 2010

Current Interests

Like most people, I go through phases with what I prefer to eat, listen to, play, watch, etc. Here are some of the things I'm into right now. I'm not necessarily proud of this list, just so you know.


SCRABBLE

I recently re-found an old Scrabble computer game that I got years ago. I think the person who gave it to me got it free from their cereal box, which is pretty awesome. I've always loved Scrabble, but the problem with playing it with humans is that it can take such a long time for each turn. Playing at the computer means it's always my turn (except the 2 seconds while "Maven" is taking his/her turn), so I can finish a game quickly (and start a new one...27 times per night). I get a lot of practice and can exchange my tiles without waiting an hour before I can play another word. It's great--who needs people?

Since it's an old program, it kind of jumps out of Windows (that sounds weird) so that my task bar isn't showing, and I don't know what time it is or if I have new email. It's pretty dangerous, actually, because I tend to sink into a timeless, introspective bubble of smooth jazz (that's what the game has playing), where words like QAT, XI and OE are the norm.

The above photo was taken last night so I could show my friend how much the game celebrates me. That brought some human interaction into the game, so now you know I'm not a complete robot-snowman-loner.



STARBUCKS ICED TEA AND SAFEWAY SANDWICHES

The Starbucks iced tea (with Splenda, no "classic") is not so much a current interest as a lifelong pursuit of happiness, but I have definitely had my fair share lately. I can't seem to not crave one, no matter the day or the weather. LOVE. Send me gift cards so I can buy more overpriced goodness.

As for the Safeway sandwich, well I can't really explain this particular phase because it's not like Safeway has the world's best sandwiches. There are plenty of other great sandwich places, but I guess I got stuck on this one particular type that Safeway makes for me, and now I have been craving them very often (and giving in to said cravings more than I should). I think it started because I had one after a hike one day and it was so satisfying that I have had a nice association with it ever since. Ingredients: original split-crust roll, turkey, provolone, lettuce, and light on the mustard/mayo. It's really nothing special. Okay, yes it is.

I have more, but this post is getting pretty long, so it'll be continued later.

14 comments:

  1. I'm not necessarily proud of this list, just so you know.

    Why not? :-)

    it kind of jumps out of Windows.... It's pretty dangerous,"

    I have no doubt that jumping out of windows could involve some danger. Oh, wait...j/k. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't take much pride in wasting time on computer games and craving sandwiches. :) Call me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good sandwich to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, Crazy. :-)

    Seriously, though, why is it "wasted" time?

    And craving sandwiches is not exactly something to be ashamed of, either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE scrabble. Especially when playing with family because we make up crazy ridiculous words and then crack up into oblivion. But I do love my IPOD scrabble so I don't have to wait on the other player!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought to ask for Splenda on my iced tea at Starbucks. I don't get tea(or Starbucks at all) very often, but when I do, I usually ask for it to be double sweetened. Next time I'll have to try the Splenda instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regarding the "jumping out of Windows" Scrabble game ... use Alt+Tab to check email or time. :)

    Regarding the sandwich and tea ... there are a lot worse things in this world you could be addicted to. Eat, drink and be proud of the better choice you're making than some others you could be making. -R

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah.. I know about alt+tab, I just don't always feel like skipping out of the window. But I do from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fayelle: I need an iPhone! I need to play Scrabble at all hours. :)

    Dania: Yeah, not only do I want to avoid the extra sugar, but I've found their syrup isn't sweet enough (which is why you double it, probably). So I have them put 4 Splenda's in a large (venti) and none of the syrup. That's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just at Toys R Us today and found out they have a cool new "glamour" Scrabble. It's all pink, lavendar and pale green. It was on clearance. So I picked one up for a certain teenager's birthday because she's been wanting her own board. It even spins ... still, not as fast as playing on the computer. :-P -R

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a game on my iPhone called "Words with Friends." It's basically Scrabble without the "name." It's great because you can play with random people from who knows where and you play at your own pace...the program notified you when the other person made their move. I've had games go on for more that a week! An yes...I use the word "QI" too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer, we need to play Scrabble sometime, then!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh and I forgot to say that I use QI on Quiddler (I play the daily puzzle), but for some reason Scrabble doesn't let me. Maybe it's a recent add to the dictionary.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...