Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Smashed Potatoes

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm attempting to cook up some corned beef for my first time. I'll let you know how it goes.

I suppose I should make a more festive post with Irish recipes, but the closest thing I can do is give you a recipe for some delicious potatoes, per a friend's request. First, here is the exciting story of how I came to be introduced to these tasty morsels. While talking potatoes with a friend, she linked me to this recipe for Crash Hot Potatoes. They looked great, but I guess they slipped my mind until I saw these Smashed Potatoes months later and decided it was time to try them. I did, and ohmygosh they were so good! They don't look like anything special, but they end up having a combination of crisp, soft and salt that is so perfect.


This photo I took of them isn't all that impressive, though. I would make them and photograph them again, but I am sort of avoiding potatoes at the moment (and this post is making me regret that :P).

I made them a bunch of times last year, so I learned a few tips. Here's basically how I make them (you will probably want to peruse the linked recipes first to understand what I'm talking about):

1. Preheat the oven to about 465 F. Boil a bunch (you'll find yourself adding more and more each time you make these) of little potatoes for about 20 minutes. I prefer the little white/golden ones to red (I tried red once and they seemed to have a flavor or richness that wasn't quite right for this recipe).

2. Meanwhile, swirl (or write your name with) some olive oil on a baking sheet. I ended up buying one of those ketchup bottles with the small spout for my olive oil, because it has worked better for occasions such as these.

3. Sprinkle salt all over the oil on the pan. Seriously, this step makes a wonderful difference.

4. After the potatoes are all nice and boiled, remove them from the water and lay them on the baking sheet, smearing them in the oil a bit to help it coat the bottom.

5. I use the bottom of a drinking glass (usually covered in foil) to smash each potato. It's fun!

6. Brush each potato with more olive oil and top with plenty of salt and pepper (and whatever other herbs/spices you might like).

7. Bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on how crispy and brown you like your potatoes.

So who here has made these before?

7 comments:

  1. These look so wild and yummy! I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, you're my best commenter!

    Definitely try them--they're better than you think. I was just going to use your husband's name but wasn't sure if that was okay. :D Anyway he will finally love you if you make these for him! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dream about these - they are just so good. Who knew a potato could be this good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't made these, but I need to SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never made smashed potatoes but I totally should! They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made them several times and they are delich! The key is to get the smallest potatoes you can; they crisp up better and are so good! And yeah, steer clear of the red ones.

    Funny, when I was younger I used to love red potatoes and now I don't like them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still like red potatoes, I just don't think they are right for this particular recipe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...