Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Portrait Photography

I'd like to start posting some of the portraits or other "professional"* photos I do either for practice or pay. I'm hoping to get more practice with willing friends because I'm becoming more interested in portrait photography these days. It can be nerve-wracking and tricky, but when it turns out, it's very satisfying!

A little history: my former coworker (and current friend) was the first to urge me to be her wedding photographer back in 2006. Her encouragement and confidence in my abilities (combined with her laid-back personality) were extremely helpful and I'm still appreciative of her patience with my fears, and ultimately the opportunity to get that kind of experience. Thank you, T!! I also took her engagement photos as a practice run to see what it would be like working with the couple. I may post some of the engagement and wedding photos here sometime if she agrees to it.

The next year, my cousin was going to have a small wedding and thought it would be really cool to have family (that's me!) do the photography. After having her (and everyone involved) look through my small portfolio to make sure they wanted me, I reluctantly agreed to what was another slightly scary photography experience. I wanted to do it, but I was afraid of disappointing her. Again, it worked out to have someone so laid back and encouraging cheering me on, and it was a great experience. I'm really glad I got to be a part of her wedding in that way.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to some more wedding photography in my future, it's not something I want to do full time. It's stressful, and I'm not sure I have the right personality. For the right couple, though, I'd definitely consider it again.

Since then, I have done several portraits for work, for my nieces and nephews, and a set of senior portraits. Today I'll show you a few photos from a recent work-related photo session.







*Even when I get paid for my photography, I never quite feel like a professional. That's probably something I'm not supposed to admit. :)

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...