Sunday, March 14, 2010

Green



This weekend I went to a St. Patrick's party and brought green cupcakes. There's nothing special about these cupcakes--I used a mix and canned frosting. (I know, I'm an amazing cook.) But when I was stirring the green dye into the batter I thought, "Oh I should add some almond extract to this!" Then I remembered I don't own almond extract and opted for vanilla. I didn't actually think it would make a difference (I like doing pointless activities), and I quickly forgot about it after stirring it in.

At the party, the hostess was trying one (she approved) and asked if there was vanilla in it. I probably startled her when I yelled, "OH MY GOSH, YES THERE IS!" I'm such a chef! Or, more likely, food connoisseurship is her spiritual gift. (If you assumed I knew the word "connoisseurship" before this entry, you think way too highly of me. I don't even know if I'm using it correctly.) Next time, I'm totally going with almond extract, though. Then they'll be like Spritz* cakes.

Of course you want to see the inside, right? The cake was greener than this, but I think it's partially washed out in the photo. I need to get some plain white plates, too--they would make for better photos. Until then, you can enjoy my leafy plates that I got for an awesome clearance price at Target.



I know you don't really eat cupcakes with a fork (or on a plate), but I think it looks a little more inviting this way. Food photography isn't really my forte, so I do what I can.

*Not sure if anyone besides my family will know that term since most treats have like a thousand names.

5 comments:

  1. Love this post. Your writing style cracks me up!

    And now I want cupcakes! Mmmm, cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and delicious looking. :) -R

    ReplyDelete
  3. those cupcakes are adorb. i've totes added almond extract to cupcakes- it's fantastic. i feel like i've also added peppermint, but maybe that's crazy and i'm confused? peppermint cake? dunno about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all of you!

    Yeah, peppermint occured to me, since they're green, but I'm not sure how peppermint cake would taste (nor do I own any peppermint extract).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a big fan of peppermint myself, so I think you made the right choice : )

    Those look tasty AND delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...