Thursday, March 10, 2011

Death Valley: Devils Golf Course, Badwater Basin, Artist's Palette

I'm back for part two of Desert Photo Bombardment 2011. We did a lot on Sunday, and this post doesn't even finish it.


Don't ask me why there is no apostrophe in Devils...I guess it's just plural? Who comes up with these names, anyway? This is basically an area of salty mud that ends up looking like the surface of some other planet.


My dad walking on the mud lumps.


Here's a closer look. My parents and I tasted the salt. Guess what--it tasted salty!




Next stop: the lowest point in the western hemisphere. More salt! It looked like snow and felt kind of squishy as we walked on it.


They cleverly hung a sign up on the nearby cliff to show where sea level was compared to where we stood. And to your right: my parents on the salt.


From a distance this looks just like water. Not in this photo, though.


More of the salt crystals.


I was pleasantly surprised by this next point of interest. There's a one-way street called Artist's Drive that takes you through some cool rocks, and then to one particular multi-colored scene called Artist's Palette. It was neat!


Some of the different colors.




I'm not sure we ever figured out what the green was.




Are you bored?




I couldn't decide what to show you, so I probably have too many photos here.


Kind of a dark burgundy on our way out.

More to come! :)

8 comments:

  1. I like how you say, "I probably have too many photos here," and then you tell us there's more to come. :) Hehe. Yay for more! I think that second to last one looks like a face almost. I like the salt as a photo backdrop for Dad and Mom ... they're so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And #12 down looks almost like a fox face peeking over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! These are awesome. Everything is so unusual! I want to go there now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. COOL! These were my favorite yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Death Valley looks super cool! I'm going to have to go sometime. The big salty areas kind of remind me of White Sands in New Mexico. Oh, and the golf course place makes a whole lot more sense now that I'm seeing real photos, the cell phone one you sent to me kind of had me confused. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. R - I meant on that particular subject. :) And that I had more on OTHER scenes to come.

    Dania - Oh sorry! :P

    Thanks everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dad and I went back to Artist's Palette on Thursday. The weather was beautiful. We just sat down and enjoyed the scene. We met a couple of people, too. Thank you for your photos! - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom - Oh really? Did you go at sunset? Did you guys make it to Zibriskie Point? I'll have to call you sometime because I don't think you'll see this comment. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...