Monday, March 21, 2011

Cheesy Biscuits



I decided I wanted biscuits with my chili the other night and found this recipe, which I liked because it has basic ingredients. I made a few adjustments and I didn't have high expectations (I've had disappointing experiences with biscuits in the past), but they turned out very well--soft, moist and flavorful.

INGREDIENTS

1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 cup (give or take) shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend)
6 tablespoons softened butter
1 cup milk (I used 2%)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Using olive oil, grease a baking sheet.

2. With a fork, mix together the flour, baking powder, parsley, salt, sugar and cheese together in a bowl. (The original recipe also calls for thyme, which I didn't have, but I'm sure many different herbs would work in these.) Use the fork to cut the butter into the flour-cheese mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Lightly stir in the milk just until the dough holds together.

3. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, and bake for about 10 minutes, depending on how large the biscuits are and how brown you'd like them to be. I made half a batch, which yielded 9 biscuits, and 10 minutes in the oven made them perfectly moist, without being underdone. They weren't brown, but I was fine with that.

I'll have to make them again and take a better photo--I wasn't really happy with the ones I have here, but you get the idea. :)

4 comments:

  1. Love the new spring layout! Looks great. And speaking of great how good does that whole meal look? Yum! Homemade chili is so much better than canned stuff.

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan: Thank you. :) I agree, homemade chili is soooooo much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love some material that looks like the header on your springy blog. I copied the recipe for the yummy-looking biscuits. I can't wait to try them. Thanks - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made (and ate) the biscuits. So YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...