Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Food 365

 
[A pomegranate from my parents' tree.]

In 2007 and 2009 I did Project 365, which is where you take a daily photo for the entire year (and ideally post them for others to see). It's an idea I came across online, and it's more challenging than it seems. By the end of 2007, I was burnt out and needed a break, so I switched to Project 52 in 2008. Then I missed having the everyday photos and went back to 365 for '09. I loved being able to look at my Project 365 gallery and remember so many events of the year that I probably would've forgotten otherwise. Gifts in the mail, outings with friends, funny situations, etc. I recommend the project if you have any interest in taking pictures--it's fun, challenging and rewarding.

This year I didn't take on any year-long projects, but just allowed myself to photograph all kinds of random things and put them in my galleries like a digital scrapbook. I think Project 365 (and digital cameras :P) helps put you in that mode to photograph even mundane things. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Naturally, I'm refreshed and ready for a new photo goal for 2011, and I have come up with my project. I will take a picture of something I eat or drink each day. My reasoning for being so specific is because a) people seem to enjoy photos of food; b) I've been interested food photography and need lots of practice; and c) I'm hoping it will motivate me to cook even more and try new things for the sake of getting a unique photo.

I'm not going to post all of the photos in my blog since you probably don't need to see snapshots of Coke Zero taken with my cell (I know by now that there are good and bad days when it comes to Project 365), but I do hope to post some of my favorite photos from each week.

Do you have any projects planned for 2011? Have you ever done a photo project for a year?

[My mom's pumpkin pie with freshly whipped cream. Obviously I've been gearing up for the new year 
with these pictures I took during my Christmas trip.]

12 comments:

  1. A) Those food photos are already wetting my appetite for more in 2011. Great job. B) That pomegranite seems particularly pale, which is a nice contrast to the seeds. C) I have my same old photo projects planned from previous years ... however, hope to do something fresh and new with them this year. It'll be a surprise, so I'll leave it at that. -R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah the pom does seem pale but I guess that's just the type of tree. I don't know much about them. It tasted normal, though.

    Oh I'll be looking forward to your surprise photo project. :) I would like to do something like that sometime but it always feels like too much work at a stressful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the 365 project in 2007 for the same reason(looking back and getting to see things that I would otherwise have forgotten about). There were times during the year where I felt totally tired of it, but still stuck with it for the whole year.

    I want to do some kind of photo project for this year but haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.

    I am looking forward to seeing your food photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to a 2011 of tastiness!

    What's the best way to cut up a pomegranate and removing the seeds? :) I tried to do it a few weeks ago and it was disastrous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dania: did you ever post your 2010 photos that you started on a film camera? Or was that last year?

    Brenda: Well, in this case the pom was already cracked and I just pulled it apart, but I've heard that cutting and pulling it apart under water is a good way to keep things a little more stain-free. Like in a deep bowl in the sink or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to seeing all the food! I would love to get into food photography more. I need lots of practice too! Pomegranates are awesome! ;)
    I once did this challenge on LJ where it's basicallly 365 but I would post all 7 photos at the end of the week instead of one a day.
    I really should participate in something like this again cause it will stretch me and it will be MORE fun with having my DSLR now too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plus, Jessica, I'm getting a new lens. Did I tell you? My Christmas jewelry from C. :) Anyway, it's going to rock. Not that my photography will get much better. Ha.

    Dania, Do you have photos posted online? I would love to see!

    Brenda, I have, too, heard that opening them underwater is the best way. But I have great memories of this one time I stayed with a cousin in Santa Barbara, CA, and we just picked the fruit out with our fingers, letting the juices stain our hands, chewed and spit the seed-ends out over the edge of her balcony into the bushes below. We were such ladies ... but it was a LOT of fun. I recommend it. Good times. -R

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sam - definitely make a photo goal! It's a great way to learn more about your camera.

    R - Oh which lens? Chris asked me about lenses like 1.5 years ago and then didn't end up getting you one and I was all confused, so I'm glad you're getting one now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I never posted any of my film photos online because I wasn't thrilled with the turn out of my 35mm point and shoot. I should totally take out my old Pentax and take some photos, at least then I will be able to make manual adjustments. (it was actually my 2009 project, 2010 I was going to do the themed one that Fayelle had going, and I kind of dropped the ball).

    Yes, I have a photo gallery online at www.danialand.com but I haven't updated it in a while. I'm a slacker in almost all things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember reading somewhere that if you cut a pomegranate in half and them tap the back of it with a spoon that the seeds will come out easily, but I've never tried this method. Usually I just cut it into quarters and then kind of shake them over a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tap the pomegranate? I can't imagine the seeds coming out from such delicate treatment, but maybe it's all in the cut.

    Wow, that was in '09? Seems like it wasn't so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pic of the pomegranite, even if I don't like the actual fruit : )

    I'm glad about this year's 365 project, I think it will be great, interesting, and a nice project for you for all the reasons you listed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...