Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December

Happy December! It's not my favorite month, but I have some happy plans, so I feel okay about it. :)

I know it's been awhile since I blogged. It's partly because life has been busy with friends and obligations, but the other factor is that you might remember I am missing my camera's battery charger. I haven't found it, but my dad so generously sent me an Amazon gift certificate so I could order a new one, and it just arrived today! My sister--not realizing what my dad had done--was also planning to send me a new charger. Isn't my family the best? I realize that now I'll probably find the old charger since I have a new one, but it seems like having a second one is a fine idea if that happens.

Anyway, here are a few updates:

I had a good Thanksgiving spent with friends. I made Eggnog Pie (my first pie ever!) and was worried about how it might turn out, but I liked it. Here's a shadowy and ungreat photo from my point-and-shoot:



Yes, I messed up on the whipped cream application! I used this recipe. I wish it had been a little more specific on timing and what to expect, but I guess it assumes the cook is Amish or experienced with this sort of pie-making. My pie turned out a bit lumpy due in part to the gelatin being overly solid by the time it was added to the mix, so keep that in mind.

I'm not sure why, but I only finished one book in November. I guess I've been busy and distracted, plus too lazy to get to the library.

The Ivy Tree - Mary Stewart (Audio - 12.5 hours)
Mary Grey is approached by a man named Connor who mistakes her for his cousin, Annabel, who disappeared 8 years before. The striking resemblance prompts Connor to devise a plan to which Mary eventually agrees due to her desperate financial circumstances. Mary is to impersonate Annabel and help manipulate Con's dying, rich uncle to leave Con what he feels he deserves. This story has mystery, interesting characters, light romance and lots of pretty English scenery. I liked it! (Books read in 2010 so far: 30)

While I'm talking about books, I feel like complaining about something. Some of my friends know that I HATE spoilers and I can barely even read the back of a book since so many of them reveal too much about the plot. There have been times when the back of the book revealed scenes that happen in the last few pages! It's ridiculous. But the worst place to go if you don't want any spoilers is to the Amazon reviews of said book. People spoil books all the time without warning. There was an Ivy Tree review that gave away a big part of the mystery that isn't revealed until the last third of the book. For that reason, I tend to put off reading them until I've finished a book. I mean, Amazon reviews shouldn't even include a plot summary in the first place (another pet peeve) because the summary is already provided on the product page. The last thing I need is to read through 100 more summaries. Okay, rant over, even though I could go on and on about that and even provide examples. Criticism is my forte, after all.

Well, now my camera is freshly charged and I'm hoping to get some good wintry photos this year. It's always difficult since winter = rain and cameras don't seem to like rain, for some reason.

7 comments:

  1. Looks tasty! I just bought a pie this year (pecan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy December! I know it's not your favorite, but I hope you have a good time anyway. Sounds like nice plans are coming your way ... drink lots of hot cocoa and eat some chocolate Santas to get you through the tough days. :) -R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I just bought some hot chocolate, actually, and I even have whipped cream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the spoilers! It shouldn't be THAT hard to read/watch/play something without having it spoiled beforehand...it's like you have to (sometimes) make a huge effort to experience it the way it's supposed to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe - I know! Sometimes there's way too much information and communication in this world. :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...