Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thankful Thursday

The past couple of weeks have had some miserable moments because I'm such a baby about being sick. But in the midst of my whining, there were some really happy things. Here are some of them:

1. My heating pad. So good on the ear!

2. A new office chair! After years of talking about how much I need a decent chair for my computer desk, I finally got one! I was just getting so tired of feeling uncomfortable in a place where I spend so much time. I got one I've seen at the store a hundred times, but dreaded putting it together. I had a little help, and it really wasn't too bad!



3. Delicious food. Padington's pizza and Talenti vanilla bean gelato stand out in my mind. (It's not ranch dressing, Dan!)



4. Wildlife. Fun wildlife sightings are always a lift to my spirits. This past week I've seen/photographed beavers, hummingbirds, dragonflies, frogs, butterflies, a snake and a nutria, among other things.

5. Alias season 5. I had plenty of down time and finished the series this past week. (It was fun to finish, but I'm a little sad that it's over!)

6. Nice weather. The weekend was warm and sunny, but cool enough at night that my apartment handled it pretty well.


7. Salsa chicken. Yes, another food reference, but only because this crock pot dish was soooo delicious. The photo doesn't really do it justice. Thanks to Brenda for the recipe. It's super easy and more delicious than I ever imagined. Just put four chicken breasts (I even used frozen ones), a can of cream of mushroom soup, a cup of salsa and a packet of taco seasoning in the crock pot on low. I think it only takes like 4-5 hours to cook, but you can leave it in there longer if you need to. Stir half a cup of sour cream into the finished product and enjoy over rice. Seriously, it is SO GOOD. Try it. It tastes kind of like chili without the beans. I want to make it again this weekend!

8. Fun games with a friend. I love games! I love having a friend who loves games too!

9. Nice coworkers. I missed a lot of work (at least for me) during a busy time, but my coworkers have been really great about it, helping me out and insisting I get plenty of rest. I love the flexibility I have with my job in times like these.

10. Good friends (and family). People have offered sympathy, prayed for me, given suggestions and listened to me whine about my earache for over a week. One friend woke up to take my pathetic 1am phone call when I was at a low point with pain and worry.

TOP HAPPY THING: 11. Sweet relief! My ear is feeling MUCH better. Wow, it's so nice to feel somewhat normal.



What are some of your goods from the past week?

7 comments:

  1. Cute chair! You needed a good one!

    I'm so glad that your ear is doing better! I know how scary it can feel when medical stuff just isn't going well, and you think it will just keep going on forever!

    Hmm...things I'm thankful for:
    That the shoe store let me exchange my shoes. That this coconut apple muffin tastes so yummy. That it's already Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the same chair C uses at his home office desk! Comfy and economical if I remember correctly. Nice job getting a new one.

    Glad to hear you're well. That's good news.

    I had some happy wildlife sightings just today: a big lizard that ran into our garage and climbed some books (it must have confused himself for a book worm - ha!) and a bunny that snuck into our back yard to eat apples that fell off the tree. They normally don't come in our back yard because of our dog, so it was an extra happy treat (and we kept the dog in).

    ReplyDelete
  3. In everything give praise! I love your "Thankful Thursdays". You put such a positive spin on real life situations. I'm thankful that I have been able to bring my great niece and nephew to VBS and they are enjoying it, that Dad made it back, safely, from another business trip and I'm especially thankful that you are feeling better. (and that you have such good friends.) Love, Mom
    PS Beautiful hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE heating pads.
    And that gelato? Looks delicious!!

    Your hummers are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post : ) I agree with Mom; your Thankful Thursday posts are always very upbeat and positive and make us all a little mroe thankful for everyday life.

    (It's not ranch dressing, Dan!)

    Yeah? Well, turn that jar 90 degrees, take another picture, post that and we'll see what people think ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dania - Thanks! Coconut apple sounds delish!

    R - Oh is it? That's funny! Yes, it was the cheapest one with padding and arm rests.

    Wow, you've seen a lot of lizards.. I was noticing ones from your trip. Crazy ones! L texted me with a tiny picture of a bunny that was in their yard (I'm sure you also got the text). How cute that it wanted apples in your yard. I'd be like, "You can eat every apple if you'll just stand there looking adorable!"

    Mom, thanks, I'm glad you like them! Yes, it's very uncharacteristic of me to be so positive, isn't it? :)

    Samantha, yeah you should try the gelato. It's deeeeeelish.

    Thanks, Dan! Hm...if you want another photo that means I need to get another container of the gelato. You tempt me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed that you got such a good photo of the salsa chicken! It isn't very photogenic. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...