Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Independence Weekend (Part 2)

We spent much of Friday in downtown Seattle doing touristy things. We hung out at Pike Place Market to buy an iced tea from the original Starbucks, see the fish being thrown (not quite as throw-y as I imagined) and visit the gum wall (definitely as gummy as I imagined). I suppose the holiday weekend and awesome weather were to blame for the crowds. Many things seemed to take longer than anticipated, so we didn't necessarily pack a ton of activities into our time. We did do a LOT of walking, though--my pedometer passed the 20,000 steps mark.


[Mt. Rainier, an a capella singing group outside of Starbucks (I loved them!), a barista catching a drink cup (they toss them at this Starbucks), Dania ordering her beverage.]



[Inside the original Starbucks.]


[Various scenes at Pike Place Market.]



[Scenes at one of the fish counters.]




[I think this is a bag of clams, or some other shellfish, being tossed.]


[Can you tell that blur is a fish?]






[The gum wall. Dan pretends to lick the gum :P, the ticket counter at this old theater has a gumball machine so you can add a piece to the wall, and Dania poses by a nasty gum-covered window sill.]

In the evening we took a ferry to Bainbridge Island and had an interesting dinner experience. I'll save that story for my next post.

Have you been to Seattle?

10 comments:

  1. These are so great!! I wish I could have gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, A) Gum wall? Ew. That's sort of a tummy-turner. But I can handle it. B) The rest of your photos look really delicious! Funny how many throw-y photos you got. Had no idea it was such a popular method of transport in Seattle. Maybe you could have saved some steps on your pedometer if Dania and Dan tossed you around the town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I thought that group outside Starbucks was great too : )

    Love the pic of the fruit, that's great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he was throwing mussels! :)
    That picture right before the gum wall of the guy with the fish was around the time that I almost got hit with the fish because I was standing too close. I'm glad that you got more pictures inside the Starbucks, I think I only got one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't care for the gum wall. ICK!

    But your photos are great! I love the one of the berries in the baskets. Nice angle.

    Now you really make me want to visit Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do those yellow raspberries taste like and what they are called? Very colorful and nontraditional peeks at Seattle, and not even a picture of the Space Needle! I should go there again, sometime. (Nice that it was a sunny day, too.) Thanks, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, you make me want to go back!

    I didn't see the gum wall when I was there (2001). Is it a recent thing, do you know? Totally disgusting but it looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brenda - thank you! Me too!

    R - Yeah I kind of thought you'd like the gum wall. You like taking pictures of gross things. :P Yes, I'm sure Dan and Dania could've easily thrown me! They're like Hulk.

    Thanks, Dan!

    Dania, oh okay, so I was right. :) I didn't realize you almost got hit with a fish.

    Thanks, Samantha!

    Mom, I'm not sure - Dania pointed them out and we wondered if they were golden raspberries. Yeah, I took a bunch of Space Needle photos last time I was there, so I was more conservative this time.

    Rachael, I'm not sure - good question. I wonder how long it would take for that much gum to be added. I guess not too long at a crowded place like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love the picture of the fruit. The red raspberries look so delicious and you captured the color beautifully!! I have heard of the gum wall...ingenious! Nice to see a real-life picture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gum wall Gross. Fruit array yummy. My appetite is ferhoodled, to say in the least. :) I have been in Seattle, but the last time I remember being at Pike's Place... in the 90s?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...