Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dragonflies, etc.

A week ago today, I woke up with an ear ache. I really thought it would go away on its own in a few days, but seven days, two doctor's appointments, dozens of prescription ear drops, four days off work (and one off church) and lots of ibuprofen later, I still have an ear ache. I feel better overall, but the ear still bothers me and I'm very tired of it.

But! I've been able to sleep more and have had some very nice ups with the downs. During one of the ups yesterday, I visited Ankeny Wildlife Refuge again and took several photos. Here they are, plus a few from home (WARNING: spider photo at the end, for those of you who hate those):



The right photo has a couple of dragonflies (damselflies?). I just thought it was funny how brave they were. Don't frogs eat those?



This big, ugly nutria was swimming around in all of the clovery water. So gross.



Obviously I like taking pictures of dragonflies.


And butterflies! You're getting three of these.



His wing's a little torn up.


This morning I woke up very early and saw part of the sunrise. It wasn't ultra spectacular, but I still took pictures (of course).


I can stand on my deck and take pictures of the hummingbirds like six feet away.




Sorry for those of you who can't handle spider photos and missed the warning!

It's been a wildlifey couple of days! I've seen beavers each night, but have resisted taking pictures.

This weekend the temps are up and it feels like summer. I really want some ice cream! Have a great Sunday and new week. :)

5 comments:

  1. Love those swallowtail butterflies! There are a lot here right now but I haven't gotten any decent shots. Same goes for the hummers. That's one of my summer time goals- take a decent shot of them! :)

    I love dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a white dragonfly! Love the contrasting wings. Take a look at the 3rd butterfly picture!! That's what he gets for playing in the thistles. (Poor shabby wings.) The close-ups of the golden-brown hummingbird are beautiful. I enjoy all your pictures. I hope you are feeling better. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I'm praying you feel better soon. Sorry about the ear! That bites. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics! Love the hummingbirds and the frog especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Samantha - Thanks!

    Mom - Yeah, his wings were pretty torn up (of course that would be the one that sat still long enough for me to photograph).

    R - Thanks! Hopefully the ear ache is on its way out.

    Dan - Gracias. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...