Saturday, September 11, 2010

Whale Watching

Today I went whale watching! I've always wanted to do this, and though I've seen very distant whales from the shore (or a ship), I've never taken a boat tour specifically to see them. Fortunately, Depoe Bay has reasonably-priced tours available and so three friends and I went on one.

We ended up seeing just one whale that kept surfacing, and we didn't see its tale or anything, just parts of its back. So don't expect much with these photos, but it's still exciting to see a whale at such close proximity.


Fin!




N pointed out this jelly fish, which was fun. I love seeing animals in the wild.


The whale breath.


It was close enough to the boat at one point that we could hear it breathing this water out.




Then the boat driver took us out to this buoy where sea lions like to hang out.






When we got back to the dock, there were some people cleaning fish, so we watched them for a bit.


Someone caught this really big fish. Some guy who seemed to know a lot about fish called it a Lean Cod, I think. Or maybe that first word was something else.. I obviously don't know a lot about fish.


They threw some of the fish scraps over the edge so seagulls could eat them.


I took several photos of the ocean.






A random pair of photos, but they were the only two verticals.


Seeing the crabs must've influenced me, because I ordered crab salad for lunch.





I don't think these photos adequately convey it, but it was a great trip. The weather was perfect, I had good company and I didn't get motion sickness.

18 comments:

  1. OOooh! Those sea-lions look really lazy. I am envious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always amazes me what good photos you take and how well they turn out! I think the pictures conveyed the beautiful day VERY well! You got dorm good pictures of that whale considering how stubborn he was being at showing much of his body. The sea lion pics also turned out well. Too bad it couldn't have been a whale lounging on top of that buoy! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I heard him say "lean" cod too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Seriously--why don't whales like jumping up on the buoys??

    And thank you, that's very sweet! I think I get caught up in seeing professional nature photos of breaching whales and so I feel like mine are all boring or something.

    So how did commenting go? I'm commenting now and see a "subscribe by email" link right under my comment box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok..."dorm" in that first post of mine was supposed to be "very". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it was a great trip - blue sky, a whale - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, awesome pictures!! I love the Northwest so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your photos so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome way to spend a day! Such beautiful scenes and nice weather and good company, too, it sounds like. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time and thank you for sharing more of your "goods" here. The photos are fabuloso. -R

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!! What a great day! Hearing whale/dolphin sounds that close is one of my favorite things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok...yes, commenting is going very well now. :) I totally understand, however, why the word verification thing was there. Makes sense once you explained everything. I hope no one starts spamming, though...this is so quick and easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, as long as it stays manageable, I'll leave it like this! I'm glad it's improved things. So what about the link to get the comments emailed to you? Is that working?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the pics - fun!!! Glad you got the whale shots :) because I got NONE - nld

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nancy's Mom, here. Hope it is OK that she shared. Your pics are just great. What a fun and beautiful day. The large fish is a Ling Cod. Yes, if you had not heard the term it would be hard to figure out. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda - I don't mind at all! I love more people to come to my blog and comment. :) Thanks!

    And thanks for the Ling Cod clarification!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...