Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blogging and stuff

I just had a chatversation with Danielle about how we tend to create meaningless rules for ourselves on our blogs, and they end up hindering us from posting.

I started this blog because I wanted to have a public place that I could share with people from all areas of my life, and they could come read and get to know more about me or just be [hopefully] entertained a tiny bit. I don't use Facebook, so this kind of takes the place of that. I participate in another online community, plus I have offline friends and family, and tend to keep people in my life very sectioned off. This is one place where everyone is welcome.

That in itself makes me much pickier about what I post, and I have often started a post only to delete it or save it for later and never actually get back to it. I start feeling self-conscious knowing that coworkers, fellow church members, family, friends, acquaintances and strangers could all be reading. The reality is (I'm guessing) that maybe 5-10 people come looking at my blog with any regularity, but I tend to live my life "just in case," so it's no surprise I am sometimes overly cautious about my blog.

Anyway, I started it with the intention of writing some reviews and other thoughts, but soon I realized I wanted to make it more photo based. Since I'm trying to do more photography on the side of my main job, I wanted a continuously updated place where my work is displayed, with a touch of my personal life mixed in. This is very trendy among photographers right now, so it's not an idea I came up with on my own. (Of course not, because I tend to rely on others to dictate how I should live my life. :P)

Well, now that I've tried to make it about photography, I feel guilty posting without photos. I feel like it's boring or unprofessional. Like this blog is professional? Yeahright.

So, as an act of rebellion against myself, I have now started my sixth paragraph and no photos have shown up yet. Go me.

A few random facts about my weekend...

1. I tried making these Prosciutto Parmesan Pinwheels (PPP!) for a lunch thing today, and they did not turn out as I imagined. (So I didn't take any pictures.) That's the first (and maybe last) time I've used puff pastry, and I wasn't impressed. Also, that recipe is a little incomplete, if you ask me. However, everyone who tried them said nice things since I had expressed all my worries about them being gross. I wasn't trying to do the reverse psychology thing, so now I feel kind of embarrassed about that but I'll get over it.

2. It's been rainy. Real rainy.

3. I asked for a new air filter with my oil change, but they did not give me one. :|

4. My friends are nice to me.

5. It's a relief that God is good, kind, loving and powerful, even when I doubt it. Thank God for God!

6. And now I will rebel against my rebelliousness and post a photo, because it's been vibrant out my back door lately, with the clouds and sun doing their thing.



7. And because I really should think about and memorize more scripture, I'll try to choose a verse for some of my entries. Here's an old favorite I had forgotten about that has come to mind lately:

The Lord your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing.

Zephaniah 3:17 (NIV)

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved the thought that God rejoices over us with singing. Sometimes, I do wonder what my theme song sounds like. Is it classic rock? Rap? Heavy metal? Hehe. Maybe it's some genre people haven't thought of yet because God can do that. Anyway, I like your posts. With and without photos. But the photos rock. Thanks for sharing again. -R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy listening. :P God's voice sounds like Christopher Cross.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...