Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fettuccini Carbonara



I've been wanting to make Carbonara ever since a friend posted about it months ago. It looked so rich and delicious, and I don't think I've ever had it before. Finally I had the ingredients, but I neglected to buy any fresh parsley, which I'd definitely use next time, even if just for the appearance.

Anyway, I based my recipe off this one, only I made just half a batch (sort of).

OH EM GEE. So, so good. It's definitely a comfort food: not the healthiest, but still one of those life requirements. It's filling, but I had to package up the leftovers immediately so I wouldn't want to eat the entire pan.

INGREDIENTS

1 to 2 T olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3 oz pancetta, cut into strips
1 clove garlic, chopped
Half package (8 oz) fettuccini pasta
2 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente.

2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and pancetta, adding garlic when you feel like it. Cook until everything is golden brown and delicious-looking.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, and shredded Parmesan.

4. When pasta is done, drain and immediately pour the pancetta mixture over it, then stir in the cream mixture right away so it's still hot enough to cook the egg. Season with salt and pepper.

Some recipes I've seen caution you to be careful not to let the egg scramble. I don't know how easy this is to do, but I didn't seem to have a problem with it.

I couldn't decide which photo to post, so you get both!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that's because IT IS. Remind me to make it for you guys sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!!

    I often package the leftovers right away too. With any food. But especially something like this. It's a good tactic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the flavor of these kinds of dishes, but I'm too messy to eat long pasta. I like piece pasta like penne or ziti or tortellini! So bad ... yet so deliciously good. Mmm. Now I'm craving this. -R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda: yeah, unfortunately this is horrible when reheated! I know that's often true of cream-based sauces, but usually it's still pretty tolerable. In this case.. blah. :/

    R: I know what you mean, but it wasn't bad. It held together well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...