Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Lifety Life

I haven't posted recently, so I feel like I should. That's probably not enough of a reason, but I don't always need good reasons for things. Ready for some random stuff?

1. There is currently a hummingbird on the feeder outside my back door. Be so amazed.

2. It wasn't long ago when I got a new battery for my car's remote, but it's already not working! I feel like a cave man putting the key into the car door to open it. What's next? An antenna for my cell phone?!

3. I've been working on naming/captioning my photos for the work gallery, and I'm reminded of how bad I am at that. For starters, I am not big on poemy-creative titles for things. It's just not me, so I'm not going to name a flower photo "Spring's Colorful Song" or "Winter's Daydream" or anything like that. I'll just call it "Dogwood," or whatever it actually is. It may be a little boring, but as I said to my coworker, I would way rather be boring than corny.

For nexters, it's hard to caption the photos in a way that doesn't seem like I have some kind of love affair with my pictures. I don't. I have reasons I like different photos, but I don't want to come across like I think they're all magical and capture a feeling or subject so amazingly. Because let's face it--there are millions of better photos out there! However, my boss encouraged me to explain my thoughts about the photos because he says people enjoy it, so I really do need to say something more than the title. I probably just need to get over myself and not worry about whether people misunderstand me, but that's just one of my struggles in life.

4. That hummingbird is STILL on the feeder. He's a hungry bungry.

5. I updated my site. It's far from perfect, but at least it no longer contains Hello Butterfly logos. I had to force myself to come to a stopping point for now because I started obsessing over little things like the speed of the photo rotator, the pictures chosen, the size of fonts, etc.

6. Firefox thinks "rotator" is not a word.

7. Number five reminds me that my coworker recently read me a quote that said something about how only a graphic designer can take a simple web page and make it annoyingly complex and impractical. I keep laughing about how true that can be. (Did I mention I'm a graphic designer? So is the coworker who read me this quote.) I do sometimes worry about details that other people will never notice, but I can also be overly practical and non-artistic compared to others in my field. Sometimes my motto is, "Eh...good enough."

8. My friend mailed back some stuff I had loaned him, and since I had asked him to throw a few Benjamins in the package, I got these:


It took me a minute to realize it wasn't some kind of mistake.

9.
Since the power was out the other night, I attempted some long exposure photos (star trails, etc.). Unfortunately (for me, at least), there was a full moon, so it wasn't dark enough. You can kind of see a couple of star trails in this image (the pale streaks in the sky), but mostly I love the adorable star effect on the house lights across the lake. They're kind of mocking me with the power outage, but I'll forgive them.

10.
A pretty scene outside my back door the other day.

11. I put the checkbox of "You don't know me" down there so that maybe strangers passing through would click on it sometimes. It's like signing a guest book, only it takes just half a second, and you remain anonymous! But no one has ever marked it.

12. I'm hungry now, so I need to make dinner.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with your boss; you should put a little personal touch on each picture! People will be interested in what you have to say about them. Even if you're not :p

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Benjamins!!

    I'm with you on simple photo names. It's good for file-naming purposes too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun post! Thanks for the update and I love, love, love the rainbow pic. -R

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh, I can so relate on the naming of photos (or in my case, paintings!)
    I like simple names too, but sometimes I worry I'll start repeating myself too much. :P
    Your new site is beautiful! I'm actually trying to design my own just now, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I've been looking at different art/artist sites all day and have an ever growing appreciation for a well-designed page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hummingbirds but they won't be around here for at least another month!

    I suck at picking names for my photos. I like creativity and coming up with unique names but then I feel so corny and weird about it. =/
    Blah. But I hate to be boring too!

    Believe me, your site looks great. Don't sweat it!

    I'm hungry now so I need to make dinner too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...