Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Restaurant-Style Pancakes



A friend and I were discussing the difference between restaurant and home-cooked pancakes, and he looked it up and saw that it's in the mixing. If you mix it in a blender or with a hand-mixer (as opposed to hand-stirring), it adds more air and makes the pancakes fluffier. I then found this IHOP pancake recipe online and they turned out super delicious with some triple berry syrup.

INGREDIENTS

Nonstick Spray
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (substitute by putting 1.25 T of vinegar in the 1.25 cups of regular milk and let it sit for 5 minutes)
1/4 cup sugar
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cooking oil
pinch of salt

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat a skillet over medium-low heat. Use a pan with a nonstick surface or apply a little nonstick spray.

2. In a blender or with a mixer, combine all of the remaining ingredients until smooth.

3. Pour the batter by spoonfuls into the hot pan, forming 5-inch circles.

4. When the edges appear to harden, flip the pancakes. They should be golden brown.

5. Briefly cook pancakes on the other side until golden brown.

Makes about 8 pancakes.


VARIATION: The above were made with whole wheat flour. They seemed pretty good but I think they require a bit less milk (I was eyeballing it, so I'm not positive).

13 comments:

  1. That's so interesting! My mom always used to tell me not to stir the pancake batter too much or it would make them tough. Guess she was wrong! lol I'm gonna try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think mixing with a whisk works well too! That's what I usually use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy!! I am printing the recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - That's probably true to an extent. I know that's true for cookies, at least. :) But it seems like you could stir the pancake batter pretty well before worrying.

    Laura - Come over!

    Brenda - Oh yeah? I don't know if I can do it fast enough to bring in as much air.

    Samantha - Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? Saturday morning breakfast with the gang to try these out? Is that what I'm hearing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Jessica, for the recipe. I probably will try them. Where did you get those cute leaf plates, by-the-way? - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I'm sure these are delicious (and the photos are fab), I have my own personal pancake chef and I can't imagine them being better than he makes 'em. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I've now tried pancake mix with an electric mixer and the actual recipe with a whisk and I can say neither of them are as good. It's definitely the combo : )

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know who left the first anonymous comment. :) I'm curious. I'm trying to remember who does that type of smiley face.

    Mom - I got them on clearance at Target awhile back. They were like $4 for four of them!

    R - I'm sure your imagination is large enough to leave room for the possibility of enjoying pancakes other than your husband's. :) Of course, you like them undone. And maybe you don't like restaurant-style--I just have always preferred them.

    Dan - Thanks for the update! I was very curious, so now I know not to try and fake it with those other options. :D You spared me a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the article. Just like Sarah N., I was always under the impression that one must not over mix pancakes (even the classic Better Homes & Gardens cookbook says to only mix until lumpy). I tried this recipe this weekend for a men's retreat and these pancakes came out much better than the recipe I usually make from the previously mentioned cookbook. They were light and fluffy but did not turn to moosh with syrup on them...

    By the way - I like to use lemon juice rather than vinegar in my buttermilk substitute. I really like the citrus flavor but I think I'd like to try adding a bit of lemon zest to these to bring out even more citrus flavor.

    PS - I'm a Corban employee in Tacoma and my wife (Karen Pease) sent me your link. I really like your site and would love to take a photography class from you if you ever offer one in the summer (she mentioned you had taught classes before). I've always wanted to do a food blog but can never get good pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This came up in the "You might also like" so I looked at it again. And it's true, I would like! If I would have seen this last night I would have made these bad boys this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dan! I don't know if you're following these comments now, so you may never see this. But hi--thanks for commenting on an old post. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...