Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tuna-Stuffed Avocado


I sort of made up this recipe based on something I had seen and what I had on hand. It's easy and so good!

INGREDIENTS
(Some of these are estimates)

1 avocado
1/2 can tuna
1 teaspoon mayonnaise (I don't like things too mayonnaisey)
1/2 teaspoon capers
1 tablespoon (or more) crumbled feta
Salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit and spoon out each side, keeping it intact.
2. Mix up the tuna, mayo, capers and feta.
3. Spoon mixture into two avocado halves, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.

There are other stuffed avocado recipes that have you keep it in the shell. I think that's just for looks, and it seems like it would be harder to eat all of the avocado that way, so I did it like this. I'm not serving the queen, so it's okay even if it doesn't look amazing. It's SO GOOD though. I'm in love with avocados, as you know. They're like an angel.

7 comments:

  1. what a great idea! I had a very brief love of avocados as I wasn't introduced to them til I was an adult. Then shortly after I discovered they make me feel horribly sick so it's over between us. But this is a good idea and I'll keep it in mind for the kids, they'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! That's so sad that they make you sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good idea. I have some canned wild salmon that I often use in place of tuna (on sandwiches and the like) and maybe I should try that. Minus feta, of which I'm not a fan. I heart capers as much as I do avocados -- well, for different reasons -- so this would probably be totally scrump. I can see how serving the avocados still in skin would be pretty, but when making something just for yourself, it makes sense to go with what's easier. This even seems pretty healthy, too -- low carb, high Omega-3, etc. Nice work. Too bad no one else in my family would go for it. -R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I didn't realize you didn't like feta. I've never thought of you as a picky eater, but I'm learning more and more things you don't like! Well, you could use any sort of cheese, or none at all. I just had it and it sounded good. I think it would also be good to add some celery for a little crunch, but it's one of those things I don't tend to keep around since it goes bad before I can use it up.

    And yeah, it's one of the blessings of single life that I can make whatever I want to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *am* a picky eater. I think I've gotten pickier as an adult because I have more say over what goes in my mouth. I'd say my least favorite food is most anything typical to Greek food. Then I have problems with certain textures (or appearance of icky texture) that bother me. And brussel sprouts. Ew. And scary-weird foods that 99% of people think are weird. I do like celery ... but not in tuna or other things. I just like it by itself. -R

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw this the other night and thought it looked yummy! You and your capers! Where do you get them again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I don't know what it is about capers, but I like to always keep some in the fridge. :)

    They're in the same section as olives and other salady things, I think. They come in jars.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...