Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Some books


Hi, whoever. That photo was just sitting lonely on my camera, so I thought I'd put it to use. It's kind of random and it doesn't go with this entry at all. I took it yesterday morning because the sun was orange.

Remember how I mentioned that I ditched my 2010 reading goal of 50 books? I made that goal because last year I had the same goal and managed to read (or listen to--audio books count!!) 51 books. I decided to peruse my full list of them, and now I will mention a few that were the most enjoyable, as long as you don't judge me for my selections.

In the order I read them:

Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman
A Young Adult (YA) book about two friends who really like Pride and Prejudice (and all things Austen). One of them is super, dramatically into it and drags her friend to crash a dance in search of a Mr. Darcy. Amazingly, I didn't really have any complaints about this book. It's an enjoyable, quick read with a simple storyline, yet I feel it was well written for a YA book of this size/topic.

The Million Dollar Mysteries series by Mindy Starns Clark
Christian fiction about a 33-year-old widow who is an investigator and ends up helping to solve murder mysteries in each book. I listened to the first one and read the rest because the reader for the audio version was a terrible choice, no offense. Okay, yes offense. Her voice is too old for the character. My other complaint is really a blanket complaint about almost all Christian fiction, and that's the corny witnessing moments. Still, I liked these so much I plan to read them again sometime.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer
In this story, aliens have come to earth and inhabited human bodies. In the main character's case, the human is fighting to stay alive and so there's an internal dialogue and struggle between the two of them. Through memories and persuasion, the human is able to make the alien care enough to search for her boyfriend and brother. I'm not really a sci-fi person, but this is much more about relationships, mixed with some adventure. There were some parts that I was squeamish about, but overall I was really into it from start to finish. It gave me lots of happy feelings.

The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Augusta Trapp
I don't think I have to explain this one, but it's the true story that the movie The Sound of Music is based on. TSoM is one of my favorites, and I've even been to the Trapp Family Lodge in Vermont, so I wanted to know more about the family. This book was inspiring and convicting to me as a Christian, and I love Maria's personality and way of writing.

There were a lot more good ones, but this entry is getting long. Maybe I'll talk about other books later, gators.

2 comments:

  1. You have a great way of writing book reviews. If I actually had more time to read, I might like to try some of these based on your explanations. But alas... :) Most of my reading these days (if not Bible) is homeschool related or parenting/child-rearing related, i.e. nonfiction. Hey, but maybe the Trapp Family would work in those categories! -R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They were a lot longer at first, so I had to whittle them down to be way more concise. Brenda is excellent at concise book reviews, so I might've learned a little from her. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...