Friday, August 6, 2010

Summer Friday



I feel like I've been posting about food a lot lately. When I originally made this blog I had hoped to post recipes pretty regularly, but then I kind of got out of cooking mode and into outdoors mode with all of the new animals, birds and foliage. Then there was the butterfly thing, of course. But I'm back to wanting to style and photograph my food more. I think it makes me enjoy it more, too.

Anyway, the other day I saw some crab cakes on sale, and they sounded so SO good. What crazy person doesn't like crab cakes? I decided they'd be my Friday treat dinner. They were great with broccoli and my first try at homemade lemonade. Well, sort of--it wasn't fresh-squeezed, despite the lemon wedge pictured. I bought some lemon and lime juice to have on hand for such occasions, and mixed some with ice, water and Truvia. It seemed to turn out okay. Not quite as natural-tasting as I imagined, but at least it's pulp-free! I don't understand people who like pulp. That means you, R.

Having these frozen crab cakes has inspired me to make my own (or maybe salmon cakes). How hard could they be? I'm wondering--is canned crab expensive? Is it good? Fresh is about a million dollars.

Enjoy your weekend!

6 comments:

  1. You know, I don't think I have ever had crab cakes! Looks like you had a very healthy meal. My mom dropped by some summer squash today and I cooked it and ate it with crackers, cheese and hummus. So yummy like yours...especially after a long, hard week. I have no idea about crab meat. I'm not sure I want to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you need to try them! They're kind of have a comfort food vibe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love pulp. Mmm. You're right. :) You can make real lemonade without pulp by using a strainer - fyi. No pulp, but real taste.

    The best canned crab I've ever had came straight from Maryland. I mean, we bought a can of it when we were there visiting and brought it home. Maryland crab. And having tasted some crabcakes in a restaurant there, I can tell you I know now why they're known for that. So good. Ours back home were good ... though I don't remember if they were AS good (I might get in trouble for admitting that), but they were still really, really good.

    I think the giant can of crab that we bought in Maryland was like $12 though. So not sure if that's what you're looking for. Although the restaurant admitted they used *that* brand of canned crab to make their crabcakes. So if a restaurant can use canned crab and have them come out tasty, I imagine anyone can with practice.

    That pile o' broccoli looks delicious, too. I love broccoli, for sure. -R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I know I can strain it.. I just wasn't ready for a lot of work on my first try and was curious about the taste of the easy way. :)

    Wow, it was still 12 bucks in Maryland? Hm. Thanks for the input. Yeah, the crab cakes I bought were talking about being Maryland crab, and before now I never knew they were known for good crab. I thought that was more of an Alaskan thing (my knowledge is limited to one episode of "Deadliest Catch" in which the men seemed to be very cold and probably near Alaska).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alaska is known for king crab, I think, and Maryland for blue crab (?). So crab legs, think Alaska, crab cakes, think Maryland. :) They have some bay where they are rampant.

    Deadliest Catch is up in that cold-water Alaskan region, I'm pretty certain. But I don't watch it regularly. -R

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to make crab cakes once (with imitation crab) and it was disastrous!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...