Saturday, August 21, 2010

Roasted Broccoli and/or Cauliflower

I've been a terrible blogger, and I think just knowing that makes it worse. I'm pressuring myself to post something cool, but it's pretty hard considering I'm not cool. But my sister mentioned something about my absence tonight, so that prompted me to post.



Lately I've been into roasting my veggies. I had put off trying it because at first it didn't seem all that enticing, but I just wanted to try something new and I'm so glad I did. Delish!

I looked at a few recipes online for the basics; it's not that complicated. Here's essentially what you do (sorry, measurements not available--if you want those, you'll have to look up a real recipe):

  1. Preheat oven to 425F.

  2. Toss pieces of broccoli, cauliflower, or both in olive oil, salt, pepper and chopped garlic.

  3. Bake in a pan for around 25 minutes, give or take. Obviously it's going to depend on how you like to eat your veggies.

  4. When they're done, toss with a bit more olive oil and some Parmesan. I used the shavings rather than grated because it makes me feel restauranty.

I think roasted broccoli does better than cauliflower (the "leaves" get kind of crispy for a nice bonus texture), but cauliflower is great too. Tonight was the first time I blended them and I think it was perfect.

Some recipes mention lemon juice and other things, so you might want to look at those for better ideas. I'm kind of afraid to try the lemon juice, myself.


And this photo is just to brag about my adorable heart-shaped measuring spoons that my friend got for me years ago. How lovable is my kitchen? You should come over and find out.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, super cute measuring spoons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They are pretty nice quality, too (especially compared to most of my kitchen stuff :P).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm I love roasted veggies! And heart-shaped spoons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried roasted carrot, potato and/or kumera/sweet potato? I'm a sucker for roast carrot..

    And, er, beef dripping makes for great roast veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I've had roasted potatoes, of course, but carrots only like in pot roast. Not roasted in a way where they are exposed to the air and get browned.

    Yeah, I think you are meaning pot roast then? Meat, carrots and potatoes all cooked together with spices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much on cauliflower, but the broccoli sounds good! You should have a Yummy button to hit along with Cool, Funny, and Interesting : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I think you'd like the broccoli a lot--try it! You could even cook broccoli and smashed potatoes at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the spoons!! Do you know where she got them?

    How long does a block of Parmesan last?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know.. I bought the Parmesan shaved in a dish just like you'd buy it grated. It says it's good until 1/18/11.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...