Saturday, July 17, 2010

Chicken Souvlaki


A friend of mine had some Chicken Souvlaki from a restaurant last night, and that inspired me to try to make my own. I happened to have several of the ingredients on hand, and it's kind of a warm-weather meal, so it seemed meant to be.

I used this recipe, but changed it up to suit my tastes and budget. I haven't eaten much Greek food, but I'm sure I unGreekified it with my alterations. Still, it was good! Just a little hard/messy to eat (or maybe I just don't know the proper way to eat it).

Ingredients

4 pieces flat bread or pitas
1 tomato, diced
1/2 small sweet onion, diced
3/4 cup crumbled Feta
1/4 cup sliced olives
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 small cucumber, diced
1/2 tablespoon dried dill weed

Preparation

In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, Feta, and olives.

In a large bowl, combine the seasonings, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the vinegar, and the lemon juice. Slowly add 4 tablespoons of the oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly until incorporated. Pour 2 1/2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette over the tomato mixture, toss, and set aside. Add the chicken to the remaining vinaigrette, toss, and set aside.

Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer the chicken but not the liquid to the skillet and heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes (yeah right--it took longer than that).

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, dill, and the remaining vinegar. Spread the bread with some of the yogurt sauce and top with the chicken. Add the tomato salad and fold.

This made a lot of the sauce and "Greek Salsa" (as I called it--and just for that, I think I'm no longer welcome in certain countries :P), so I'm guessing I'll have more than enough of that compared with the chicken. It depends on how much you like all those veggies and sauce, but I'd probably halve most of the ingredients next time (except the tomato was a good amount--already halved from the original recipe).

And now a little collage for no particular reason:

7 comments:

  1. Yup, you'll never get into those Mediterranean countries again! : )

    That looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That looks so good! I love all those ingredients so I will definitely try this. Thanks for sharing the recipe and your incredibly appetizing pictures.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! And thanks for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo collage! You would do great as a cookbook photographer. -R

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I have all these ingredients...maybe I should make this tonight instead of salad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know how it turns out if you make it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...