Friday, June 1, 2012

Memorial Weekend Road Trip

Okay, I finally got together some photos from my weekend. Some of these are snapshot quality, which I try to avoid in my blog, but I'll get over it.


Early Friday morning, my friend Katrina and I headed south. This is just a typical Oregon scene.


I think Katrina actually took this one while I drove. This is how it looked over the pass. The roads were fine, though, thankfully.


I had to show a photo of Katrina to prove she was with me. :) This is when we stopped for lunch at a Subway in Weed, CA. There was some snow on the ground here, which was also surprising.


Rainbowy semis.

We arrived in Yuba City around 2:30 and went our separate ways. I was so tired that I was very lazy at my parents' house that night.


For dinner, my dad nicely cut the corn off the cob. He does it because I'm whiny about eating corn on the cob (too messy!), but I think he and my mom probably enjoy it off the cob too. :) Come on, admit it.


Sorry if raw meat bothers you. I had specifically requested these steaks that my dad used to buy at Costco--they are all twirled up with stuff inside. But I didn't realize my dad no longer has a Costco membership, so he made them himself! I just thought the fresh/uncooked version might be interesting to see.


And here they are cooked up. Deeeeeeeelicious.


Saturday morning. After asking my dad about whether he had purchased any new koi recently, he suggested we check out a koi farm about 30 minutes away (outside of Lincoln). These are all the pools with koi of various prices.


The man who owns the farm (a very nice and friendly guy who obviously loves koi) would scoop out our selections and other suggestions so we could examine them more closely before choosing what to buy. We bought two of these fish--the solid white one at the top we named Dovey. At the bottom there we bought that small yellow-headed one next to the larger orange one. I loved him so much! I named him Billy Idol. Aren't all the fish so pretty? It's especially apparent when you're just focused on them in this blue bowl. Some have glittery backs and others almost look fake they're so perfect and healthy.

We also bought two others--Creamsicle and Mexico--from a different pool, and I have a photo of at least one of them later on.


The scene near the koi farm.


After picking out fish, we went to lunch at Cilantro's. I had the chicken sopaipilla. SO GOOD.


I like to go around taking photos of my parents' yard, since they often have various flowers blooming.



One of their dogs, Rocky, likes to think this grass was planted specifically for him.


There were lots of hummingbirds.



Sorry for some of these repeats from the Instagram post!


There are lots of pond pictures because I was trying different times of day and angles. It's very hard to photograph into water when you're outside!


No, that's not koi! It's salmon, squash and more of that pinwheel steak. This was Saturday's dinner.




You can feed koi several times per day in the summer.


Sometimes the birds use the pond for a bath.




This was a pretty shade of dragonfly!


Here's one of the new fish, Mexico.


He's the only one in the pond with blue on him (I think).


No, that's not koi! It's pork, green beans and cauliflower (my dad grilled it.. it was good!).



The jasmine smelled soooooooooooooooo good.



Thanks for looking through these! :) Happy June!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a nice trip. That food all looks so yum. Can you tell us the reasoning behind some of the fish names? They're cute. I especially like the name Mexico. Fun!!

    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was a good trip! A nice little getaway, and the weather was good.. I forgot to mention that. So much sun.

    Dovey is so named because he's white, like a dove. :D Plus there are doves next to Mom and Dad and they're constantly cooing, so it reminded us. Billy Idol because of the blond hair (like the yellow head), Creamsicle (not pictured) is orange and white, and Mexico reminded Mom and Dad of Mexico with all the colors. You know how various Mexico dishes and decor are full of color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great little vacation you had. I enjoyed the pictures, especially the ones of the koi, and the bathing bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rachael! Yeah it does a girl good to get away for the weekend. :) And even though we get sun here sometimes, it just seemed so much brighter in YC. Loooots of vitamin D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, Mexico reminds us of a Mexican sunset.

    Thank you for all the photos, Jessica. I really think the bathing bird is adorable.

    I saw a hummingbird drinking water out of a fountain when I was visiting my mom. I should've taken a picture. I've never seen that.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, Mom, thanks for the reminder! I knew there was another specific reason that dad had mentioned.

    That's weird--I've never seen a hummingbird drinking regular water! He must've been full of sweets and wanted a break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recognize those rainbow semis! :) It's been a while since I was up there though.
    It was great to see your trip photos! I am surprised it snowed up there but then I did remember that it snowed over in the Tahoe area that weekend too. I'm soooo glad it didn't snow here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I'm late commenting, but it looks like an awesome time. I want to eat those steaks. And I can't believe it was SNOWING. Crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...