Friday, June 29, 2012

Art Journal - Prompts 2-4

Oh hey, let's get caught up on these.

Prompt 2 was, "What is the BEST part of your day?" Answer:


My opinion of my page this day: LAME. It's not the prompt's fault, I just really lamed it up here.

[Note: that says "Watch the beavers," not "Watch the bears." Sorry about my handwriting.]

Prompt 3 (talk about a person special to me) was not one I wanted to do. I didn't like the idea of picking one person and then making other people feel sad or confused or anything. I know I could've picked several, but then where do I stop? It's like making a wedding guest list. So instead, I stole one of my sister's ideas and talked about someone who is my opposite. 

That was easy because whenever I think of someone who is my opposite, I think of my younger sister, D. The page kind of explains why.  I definitely appreciate some of her non-me qualities, though. For instance, in social situations she can make friends instantly and keep the conversation going, so it's fun be at gatherings with her. Anyway, she and I aren't always the extremes of those descriptions, but it gives you an idea. Like some people would be all, "Jessica? A wallflower? Que the heck?" but that's because they're seeing me in specific situations where I'm feeling more social, or maybe there are bugs all over the walls.

Prompt 4 (that's today) was, "What does your heart look like?"


[I should clarify that I've not actually seen my heart, so this drawing probably isn't 100% accurate.]

I was thinking about how to sum up what's in my heart, and I thought about how the seasons are a good representation of life overall, with their goods and bads and changes and consistencies.

And now we're caught up! So far I'm having mixed feelings about this project. It's a good thinking exercise for me, and I enjoy it for the most part, but before I start I always feel a little dread. Also, my pages are not exactly gallery quality, so it's a humbling exercise to post them here for you. :P Oh well.

What about you--have you done a journal like this or do you want to?

14 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love these. I know it's not all perfection in your eyes, but it is so cool to see real you in these. I can say that because I know you kinda.

    I also love your little comments after them. You make me laugh.

    I really like your little butterfly and comparisons of you and D. You do have even more similarities and differences, but I know you kind of have to limit things. Well, you do, I just go on and on and on and bore people to tears!

    I love your heart, too. Your literal-proverbial heart AND the one you illustrated. Both so good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to answer your question.

    No, I've never done a journal like this.

    Ha! Are you kidding me? Take the link Jessica provided at the top of her post, people, I've been tearing up journaling all month! :)

    Just seeing if I could say I hadn't with a straight face. I couldn't hide it. I was all a-snickers, just typing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. R - Someone's feeling a little wacky this morning! Thanks for the nice comments. Yeah, I know there are more things about D and I but I didn't think it was supposed to be an exhaustive essay. :P Plus, I have a hard time writing the two sides without making one of them sound bad, and I was trying to emphasize different, not better/worse. Do you think I left out some obvious differences?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hair differences, duh. :) Curly vs. straighter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. R - I actually mentioned that we both have curly hair. Hers is definitely much thicker, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I must have missed that! Yours has gotten curlier over the years. I just always still think of it as the straightest of our three. But that's probably mine nowadays. Mine's definitely the thinnest and grayest! Cute!

    Okay, how about she lives in the South(west), while you live in the North(west)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoying the colorful drawings! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. R - Yes, mine's definitely curlier (and I better know how to let it be itself), and yours has strangely gotten a lot straighter! I remember being really surprised a few years ago, although I'm not sure now how curly it was growing up. It was fairly straight when you had it really long.

    Michael, you commented! :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw ... I love what you did with the heart. To me that was a really good way to symbolize much of what it means to be human.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Marie! Yes, the seasons are a handy symbol. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are really cool!

    "...or maybe there are bugs all over the walls."

    Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You have commenty sibling and friends!

    I love the birds welcoming you home.

    I recognize the differences between you and D. In fact, all 3 of you siblings are so different for being from the same parents and close in age. That's what makes you all individuals.

    No, I have not done a journal like this. I love reading yours and R's, but I'm not good at it!

    Thank you, love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Dan, Brenda and Mom!

    Mom, I bet you'd be really good at a journal like this! Plus, there's no good or bad.. it's just an exercise in creativity, thinking, etc.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...