Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Art Journal - Prompt 1

My sister R has been doing a 30-Day Journal Challenge and it has inspired me to take on the challenge myself! Only, I'm afraid to actually say I'll do it for 30 days since I tend to be a big quitter. How about we take it a week at a time? Or a day at a time? :) (Though I am feeling encouraged that if R can do it between homeschooling and caring for her 5 kids plus 4 nieces and everything else, then what excuse do I have not to finish it?)

The challenge comes from Janel over at Run With Scissors. I guess the ideal is to follow along with the group, but I'm just now feeling like things have calmed down and I can work on something like this. A few friends did the challenge last year, so I decided to go back and do the 2010 prompts so everything would be new for me. It seemed unfair to go into it knowing what prompts to expect, plus it puts pressure on me to think about it before the day has come. I like this idea better. I won't look at the new prompt until the day I do it.

Prompt 1 says to "Create a full page design introducing yourself. :) Highlight your name many times in the midst of your design."

  
(Click for larger)

How self-centered am I? :)

I've decided to [try to] avoid disclaimers with this journal and just enjoy it. It's going to fall short in many ways, but the point is to just be creative and try something a little different. When I was a kid I loved doing a lot of art projects with paper, tape and markers, so this is a chance to go back to that and get off the computer. I took R's lead on this day and skipped pencil and did it all in pen. No erasing! It's kind of liberating, actually.

I've written too much in this post, so if you have questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to be less wordy on these in the future!

9 comments:

  1. This is incredible and cute and awesome. I love it and I love that you actually took my advice to be bold and only do one draft. :) Way to put yourself out there (er, here).

    I must say that I actually decided upon that when for two summers, S has tried to do this challenge, and she always burns out by like day three because she puts too much pressure on herself to be perfect. Only God is perfect, so I figure I'll give it my best the first go and the results are what I post. Someday, S will get that, too, I think. :)

    I know my worth in His eyes. To me, that's what matters most.

    But as for you and Day 1 of this Journal Challenge, you rocked it. Nice work. I hope to see more ... but don't do it for my benefit! Do it because it's fun for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Thank you for the link, too! Always appreciate you sending readers my way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, R! Yeah, I am not the kind of person who can spend a ton of time on something (it becomes unfun), so I think it's better for me to just dive in. I'm not promising I'll never use pencil or work out a layout ahead of time, but at least for this one I just went for it with only a vague idea in my mind.

    I didn't realize S had come across it a couple of years ago! It's a great project for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, that's beautiful and very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, last summer, I came across it and suggested she do it (she's creative and loves art) and she was very excited. I suggested it to her because I didn't think I had the time to take it on.

    But as I printed up each daily prompt, I kept thinking about ideas I had for myself. So this summer, I dove in! And oddly, I've outlasted her (but truthfully, she has a lot on her plate as it is).

    I like that my kids love to come check out my journal pages each day and see what I've come up with. I hope it inspires more of them to give the project a go next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! Fun project, I hope you really enjoy it : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job with your name everywhere! The picture definitely shows a some of your personality, palm trees, water, sun and all!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...