Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Project 52 (44)


I got a bit behind on this again! This is a slightly long-exposure of my parents' koi pond. I was holding the camera, so it's not quite in focus, but it wasn't meant to be technically perfect anyway. Feeding and watching the fish is a fun summertime activity for my parents (and me, when I visit!). The koi are very active in the warmer months and they provide plenty of entertainment. And yes, they all have names! I'll talk more about this when I post about my trip.

Here's something pretty fascinating: koi can live over 100 years in the right conditions. Apparently the Japanese refer to them as "living jewels" because they are passed down in families. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia: One famous scarlet koi, named "Hanako" (c. 1751 – July 7, 1977) was owned by several individuals, the last of whom was Dr. Komei Koshihara. Hanako was supposedly 226 years old upon her death, based on examining one of her scales in 1966.

Can you imagine having a fish that was around in the 1700s?? That's craze. Mom and Dad, which koi are you passing down to me? Maybe they'll live long enough that in like 2118 they will be the old-fashioned fish surrounded by koi wearing space suits.

4 comments:

  1. Fish in space suits - now there's an image!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... I would never have thought of a koi being like a tree... Oh the stories she could tell! Or not, because she's a fish and ignorance is bliss, which is probably why she lived so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Billy Idol! You'll have to have a pond, though, or a really large-cool aquarium.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...