Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Portraits - Hollie


The other day I was telling my coworker, Hollie (who I am always using for portrait practice), how I wanted try some experimental portraits in a particular location (on a nature trail), but that the scene seemed more appropriate for bridal portraits, not just someone in casual clothing. She said her prom dress was sort of like a wedding gown and she had been wanting to put it to use again, and tada!: This photo shoot was born.


I wanted to step outside my norm a bit, but I didn't get all that crazy. (Baby steps.) I tried a lot of things that didn't really work, but some did, and I had a lot of fun doing it.



Hollie is always so cooperative. Check her out! (And yes, she's laying on a plastic mat.)


I love her expression here.







Some of these are more my norm.








Time for the purple prom dress! I actually ended up loving these the most, even though this dress was kind of an afterthought. I wish I had taken a photo of the scene here, because you probably wouldn't know that we're just on the side of a road (which is behind her) and next to a big wire and telephone pole. I found just the right spot up on a hill to stand and get a great angle on her.



She was actually taking her hair down in this one, and of course I'm snapping away like the
paparazzo that I am. But I think it's cute and natural.





Thank you, Hollie!

11 comments:

  1. The purple dress pictures are stunning for sure, but actually, my favorites are the "bridal" ones. Marry that girl off! She doesn't need a second bridal portrait session. Ha. But seriously, I love the setting and the poses and just seeing you stretch and grow as a portrait photographer. Wonderful. I think my favorite in the white dress is when she's kneeling in the purple flowers. Something just so special about the colors in that shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS!!! Seriously, these are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that R mentioned the photo of Hollie in her white dress with the purple flowers. I really like that one, too. I liked the lying down pictures, too. The purple dress is beautiful and the color contrast with yellow is gorgeous.
    That was fun! Thank you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! The white dress could totally be a wedding dress! There were so many favorites in this group that I had to go back and number them in my head and write down my thoughts..hope my numbering makes sense:

    #3 Hollie looking down(the one on the left)looks so peaceful. The angle of the shot, and the way that her arm is outstretched kind of mirroring the path just works so well.

    #5 Hollie lying on the ground with the unseen plastic. I don't know why but this one totally had me cracking up. I guess it's the combo of her positioning, the expression on her face, and the angle of the shot. I don't know...it should have a caption like "gosh this dirt is comfy".

    #12 Lying among the flowers. This is probably my favorite one of all. I can just see a brightness in her eyes, even though she's not smiling in a cheesy out of control way she just looks content and happy, and I like that some of the little daisies are clear and in focus, while others blend nicely around her. Oh, and all of that green grass really compliments her freckled complextion.

    I really liked #18, 24 and 28 too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say? Fantastic pics! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone!

    R - you mean when she's sitting? And we actually did some more purple flower photos which I'll post soon. I wanted to retry when the light was better. :)

    Thank you, Brenda!

    Mom, thanks! And see comment to R. :D

    Dania - Thank you! I love specifics like in your comment. Except when they are laughing at the photo. :P But yeah, I actually burst out laughing when I was taking that set because I had this vision of a damsel in distress on the road to the kingdom or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these are fantastic! I really like the lower ones the best but I love that one of her in the white dress where she is farther away, walking away from you. It's magical.
    http://www.hellobutterfly.com/albums/blog12/IMG_2500JMt.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well..I'm laughing with you and not at you...is that better? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess she is sitting, now that I'm looking again. It appeared as though she was kneeling. But yes, that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I fit my wedding dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, these are breathtaking... Especially with her laying down/sitting in the grass. The purple dress is stunning on her.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...