Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thankful Thursday: The Goodness Of Winter


Happy Winter Solstice! Typically it falls on the 21st, but this year it's on the 22nd, which works out well for Thankful Thursday. I admit that winter is my least-favorite season. There are plenty of things I don't like about it, but let's talk about the nice things.

[The pictures in this post are all old photos from winters past. I thought it would be fun to dig out some pre-blog stuff.]



I could be wrong on the location of this photo. We were on a drive, so maybe we weren't quite in Maine yet. R?






1. Snow. It's rare enough here that it's an exciting treat when it snows (challenges aside). Getting a snow day is awesome, but even just having a chance to take snowy pictures is something I look forward to.




2. Being cozy. People often say it's easier to warm up than cool down. That's especially true in the land of no air conditioning, and I love being able to wear sweats and cover up in blankets while I sleep.

3. Drinks stay cold in the car. It's a little thing, but it's one of those perks I always appreciate. I tend to keep bottled water in my trunk, and it's so nice that they are ready to drink! Or if I forget a beverage in my cup holder, it'll stay nice and icy cold for hours while I'm at work or in the store.



4. Fog. I enjoy this mostly from a photography standpoint, like many things. It gives the landscape some mystery, adds dewdrops to spider webs, ups the chances of streams of light coming through the trees, and it makes everything a little quieter.

5. More ducks on the lake. In the summer I mostly see mallards and wood ducks out on the lake behind my place, but in the winter we have several other species that have migrated down. It's fun.



6. A better view of the lake. Without all of the leaves on the trees, I can better see the aforementioned ducks. Or ice.

7. The days get longer. I remember my dad once mentioning how the nice thing about the first day of winter is that the days get longer from there. It feels so dark so early, that this is very bueno news.



8. Holidays. Yes, I have complained about the holidays, but they certainly have their good aspects, too! Christmas can be magical, New Year's means new beginnings, and even Valentine's Day (heart fun!) falls in winter.

9. Using the oven. No need to worry about heating the house!



10. It makes me appreciate spring and summer even more. Does that count as a real reason? :)



I'm sorry to say I did not take this photo. I wish! My sister's friend actually took it after an ice storm. I hope it's okay I'm featuring it here. I came across it in my files and it's just too awesome not to show you. Also, it reminds me of one of my favorite poems, Birches by Robert Frost:

But swinging doesn't bend them down to stay.
Ice-storms do that. Often you must have seen them
Loaded with ice a sunny winter morning
After a rain. They click upon themselves
As the breeze rises, and turn many-colored
As the stir cracks and crazes their enamel.


(Please don't hate me for quoting poetry in my blog! I know that's a little sappy.)




Okay, tell me your favorite thing about winter, please!

10 comments:

  1. The birches poem has always been one of my favorites too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the December 08 Salem pics! Both of them : )

    (Please don't hate me for quoting poetry in my blog! I know that's a little sappy.)

    Haha, we'll forgive you ; )

    My favorite thing about winter? When it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fave thing about winter? Probably not getting overheated. I HATE being hot. Makes me want to cry endlessly.

    I LOVE the icicles shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! I love this, even though I generally don't like winter; you reminded me of some reasons to appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I like winter when I'm inside feeling cozy. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those shots! Esp the last two for some reason. And I like the poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, my favorite thing about winter HAS TO BE these awesome photographs! :) But also, I do love Christmas (Eve, mostly). But I do like many of the points you made -- and in addition to cold drinks, it's being able to go to the grocery store, buy frozen goods and still make extra stops on the way home without worrying about thawing the ice cream or the veggies.

    The two towards the top were from Maine; I believe it was in and around Kittery Point where we visited with you around that time. And it is fine that you posted the one our former neighbors sent us to show us how it looked the winter after we moved to NM. It's pretty, but I don't miss that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos! Thank you.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. FIRE AND ICE
    (also Robert Frost)

    Some say the world will end in fire,Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the nice comments, all!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...