Monday, December 19, 2011

I took some pictures.


The ring-necked ducks are here for winter, so now I'll show you foggy pictures of them.



It wasn't easy getting this diving shot.


Did I mention there was fog?


But not here--this was when it was all sunrisey outside. And then I took my time machine to earlier this year so I could use my old watermark.


Here's more non-fog.


I took this a couple of weeks ago. There was a thin fog creating streams of sunlight, which are barely visible in this photo since the sun is kind of hogging the stage. (Typical.)

Okay, I'm going to talk for a second. How's your Christmas shopping going? I'm about done, but I always think that and then get more ideas right at the end. I really enjoy gift-giving, though I don't really like that Gifts is one of my primary Love Languages (the other being Words of Affirmation). It's kind of an uncool Love Language, because it seems so materialistic and it's more susceptible to the obligations trap that one can fall into with friends and family.

As the year wraps up, I've been thinking about 2011 and what I'd like to remember or forget. I'm looking forward to posting more about the former, and coming up with ideas or changes for 2012. I know many people scoff at the idea of New Year's resolutions, but I see no problem with setting goals at a particular time. I set (and fail at) goals year round, but the beginning of a year is a good time to get reflective, along with everyone else, and dream about change and improvements. It's like celebrating Valentine's Day--sure, you can and should show your love all year long, but what's wrong with having a special day for it too? I like holidays.

Sometimes I get so curious about who is out there looking at this blog.

PS I redecorated for winter.

10 comments:

  1. That sky is amazing! And the picture before it looks right out of The Neverending story... When he's in that swamp. Love it! I love your nature shots.

    I used to be afraid the Gifts love language looked too materialistic too... I've combatted that 2 ways- educating people about love languages and making sure I love people with THEIR language as much as I can. It's really helped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should make calendars to sell with your nature photos! They are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the subject line. Ha! There are several things I like about this post actually - but I'm on my way to do more obligatory gift shopping, so I don't have time at the moment to talk about it. :) I feel ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your duck pics remind me about the swans that I saw last year on a local lake. I wonder if they're around again... I should check!

    I think I'm going to scale back on the goals this year. I was really quite unrealistic with my goals for 2011 and part of it was completely out of my hands but I still feel "bad" about not making more of my goals. Maybe I'm just too hard on myself, though.
    I do plan to set some "realistic" goals in 2012 and write down a few of my dreams for 12 too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked your writing as much as your photos on this blog : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on that diving shot! Well worth the effort. Love the shot with the sunlight streaming through the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fayelle - Thanks! Yeah, I've become more aware of our different Love Languages over the years and understand better that something that is a big deal to me isn't as much to others, and vise versa.

    Emily - That's sweet--thank you!

    R - Have fun shopping!

    Samantha - Yes, it's easy to get carried away and set yourself up for failure. I do that a lot. The older I get, the smaller my goals get. :P

    Jonathan - Thank you so much. :) This comment has stuck with me all evening.

    Dan - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great and the winter header is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I'm really late on my comments. I especially like the picture of the sunrise and the sun through the trees, but, as usually, I enjoy all your photos.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...