Wednesday, November 16, 2011

It's mushroom season

Here are just a few photos I took last week.


There've been lots of foggy days.


I love cute mushrooms!




There are so many kinds.


This one looks like a sponge.





These were a surprise when I saw them up on the side of a hill when I was about to pack up and head back. They looked like cartoon mushrooms! I had to climb the steepish hill to get photos. Not great photos, but some evidence. They were very large--about 5 or 6 inches across the top. And guess what? Dania once gave me a little mushroom guide, so I can look these up. They are Fly Agaric. A quote: "The quintessential toadstool, it is a large white-gilled, white-spotted, usually deep red mushroom, one of the most recognizable and widely encountered in popular culture." Well I don't think I've ever seen one in real life, but it does look like something in a children's book or cartoon. Awesome! That's your lesson for the day.


We'll end on something a little daintier. Darling!

7 comments:

  1. These are great. :) I'm terrible at identifying mushrooms, but I do love to see the variety that's out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad once took me on an all-morning quest to find mushrooms - specifically I wanted to find a Fly Agaric. No luck. Then we got home and discovered a gigantic one like... right in our yard.

    They make one hallucinate when eaten, I have heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can things that taste so terrible make such great pictures? XD

    My favorite is the upside down one with the purple edge. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fungi pictures. :) The kids and I did a study awhile back on various fungi and found the Children's University of Manchester to have many useful resources on the subject. For a really good photo-guide to the various forms, visit - http://www.childrensuniversity.manchester.ac.uk/interactives/science/microorganisms/discovermore/gallery.asp I'm not affiliated with the site at all other than I think it's a great resource if any one is interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HCH - Thank you. :)

    toocheap - That's a funny story! Where was that? I did read that they can be used as drugs, but I couldn't tell if it was just a myth or not. I bet they also make you a little sick afterwards. :P

    Dan - Yeah, mushrooms are one of the great mysteries! And I didn't even really notice the purpose on that mushroom! Thanks for pointing it out. Now I want to find one like it to get a better photo of the top.

    Rachael - Thanks!

    Thanks, R! The only thing about fungi is that some of it is SO GROSS. I remember watching part of that Earth show that I got for Mom and Dad and I had to turn it off.. it was disturbingly sick, what they got on film. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some how I missed this blog while getting ready for my Thanksgiving trip. I think that Fly Agaric mushroom (toad stool) is great! As far as hallucinations, that must have been what the Jamacans were speaking of when they asked Dad and me if we would like "mushrooms from the mountain",which we turned down. Great photos, all! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...