Monday, October 10, 2011

Two years of this


[First sunrise after moving in.]

I moved to my current abode two years ago today. I feel very blessed to live where I do. I was unhappy in my previous place, and that probably boosted my appreciation of this place even more.

The inside is nothing remarkable, but I like it. I have bamboo floors and berber carpet that looks decent even when it needs to be vacuumed. My ceilings are slightly taller than average, so the rooms feel more spacious. I love my bathroom, and the fact that I have so many windows.


But I mostly moved here for the view.


Sometimes I will walk by my back door and glance outside thinking how crazy it is that I get to see that from my livingroom, instead of some other person's apartment, a parking lot or a street.


The scene is always changing, and I've tried to photograph every version, as you well know.



Sometimes the lake freezes a little. In the winter I can see more of the water, but in the summer it's all lush and more private feeling.


In the spring, I have the perfect view of rainbows.


And then there's the wildlife. I love that I have been able to see so many animals right from my deck. Beavers are always fun to watch in the morning or evening.


One year I even saw an otter. I've also seen deer a few times, and of course plenty of squirrels.


I even enjoy nutria sightings, despite how nasty they are.


And then there are the birds...









Having the lake means lots of waterfowl, like herons, cormorants, geese and several types of ducks. (I don't think I've ever used the word "waterfowl" before.)



Of course the mallards hang out year round, along with wood ducks, but in the winter I see several other types.


And when I feel like venturing downstairs, there is more loveliness.



When I move someday, I know I will miss this place, but I'm just glad to have it now. It's perfect for me. It makes me always want to live on some body of water, though I don't think that's very realistic. :)



What's your favorite thing about your home?

12 comments:

  1. Wow, so gorgeous! I love love love your apartment and, of course, that view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing views captured by an amazing photographer. *An English Gentleman*

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the stuff that makes me miss our life in New England. But I think my favorite thing about our home here is having a whole room to dedicate to our homeschooling and the fact that for one week a year, we have the perfect location for viewing hundreds of hot air balloons - sometimes right from our backyard. Beautiful pictures, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Happy apartmentiversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Such a great view. And little beaver buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wooow totally amazing! I LOVE your photos! And the beavers are soo cute.

    ~ Esther

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your photos are so beautiful! They make me feel like crying. I'm so glad for you to be able to live in that apartment where you find refuge and peace with all the awe inspiring scenery. I can't wait until Dad and I visit. Thank you!Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had to re-visit the picture of the first sunrise that greeted you upon moving in. Not only is it captivatingly beautiful, but it is also very telling - even the very elements welcomed you to your new home! *An English Gentleman*

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really, truly is beautiful there all seasons!! :) And you have a gorgeous view too.

    I love how many trees we have around our place. I love that we get snow in the winter, despite how much of a nuisance it can be... and I love how we usually have ALL 4 seasons instead of just 2 as some places in the valley do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. R - Yes, there are definitely goods and bads to any place! Thanks!

    Thank you, Brenda and Dan!

    Esther, thank you so much! I appreciate visitors--do we have mutual friends?

    Thank you Mom, K and Samantha! Thanks to everyone who responded about their own home, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...