Sunday, June 19, 2011

My dad

[That's me and my dad. Don't look at my undies!]

There's a lot I could say about my dad! He has many interests and talents, and he's taught me so much. He's given me opportunities that have helped me discover my preferences and made me a more well-rounded person.


[L: Mom and Dad on Mexican cruise. R: Dad and grandson, Z, in Tahoe.]

For instance, my dad really loves to travel (I think he got this from his dad) and so he has always been very supportive of me traveling. He has taken our family many places and never discouraged me from going places on my own.

He's also into photography and used to do it professionally. He once taught me how to make a pin hole camera and we set up a darkroom and everything.

My dad loves cooking and I've learned several tips from him (and my mom!) over the years, like how to make rice pilaf and cut/pit an avocado.

He also loves to entertain, and I know I've picked up some of his hosting techniques. Often I think about how I do certain things because that's always what my dad does when he has company.

My dad really is a jack of all trades. In addition to the other things I mentioned, he can do carpentry, interior decorate, garden, play guitar, ride motorcycles, fish, groom dogs and even sew! (He sewed me a jack-o-lantern costume when I was 6, and I won a prize for it--a yellow, plastic boot cup. Remember that, Dad and Mom?) He knows about food, wine, travel, sports, appliances (he sells them for a living, and he's very good at it), electronics and politics. He's patriotic and a natural leader. He works hard and is very generous.


[L: Mom and Dad at Multnomah Falls. R: Dad and granddaughter K on the scooter he bought my mom one Christmas. This post isn't about K, but she's melting me with her adorableness in this photo!]

Dad, I know you're camping as I post this, so I hope you're having a great time. I'll talk to you when you get back! Happy Father's Day.

6 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! Your dad seems like a super guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice tribute to your pops! Some great pics there too. Both you parents look really sharp in that cruise picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post for your Dad! And wow, you look a lot like him :)
    He sounds like an awesome dad. My Dad is a jack-of-all-trades too and I still believe that he can do pretty much anything that he sets his mind too. He's very mechanical, artistic, creative and inventive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all!

    I agree, Dan--I hope I look that good when I'm their age.

    Samantha, yes, I know I look like him. :) I get told all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A note to Samantha R. All 3 daughters look like their dad. I only carried them for 9+ months. Jessica's dad is a great father and wonderful husband. He loves his "girls" very much. Thank you, Jessica for this post. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...