Friday, June 10, 2011

Catching up


[That's a big leaf!]

I haven't blogged in over a week and I miss it! Hopefully soon I'll get back into the swing of things. For now, here are some updates and pictures.

** I listened to two audiobooks in May, bringing my 2011 reading total to 13. (Compared to some of my friends, that's pathetic!) Apparently I have given up on reading actual printed books. I do like reading, but I tend to choose other activities to fill my time. But audiobooks are so handy and they make my drives to work and around town soooooo much better. I love that they have become so much more popular. In May I listened to two Grisham books:

The Broker (10 disks?)
This is about a criminal who is pardoned and transferred to Italy by the US government. There he is taught the language and culture so he can fit in and begin his new life. Parts of it were interesting, but I found it a little slow and uneventful. Also, I am kind of dumb and didn't understand some of the background.

The Last Juror (10 disks)
A young writer moves to northern Mississippi and takes over the local paper of a small town in the 70s. He covers a murder trial and also befriends a black woman and her family. There's a lot more to this book, but I don't want to give it away. I thought it was good--interesting and nice--although some parts had me wondering where it was going. Grisham sometimes dwells on things I wouldn't expect, but maybe that's a good thing.

** Last weekend was my church choir (and orchestra) concert. Every year we finish the season by re-presenting some of the favorite songs. I think everything went pretty smoothly and it's always a nice way to wrap up the season. Last year I was unable to participate in the concert because I pinched a nerve in my neck and could barely move. I'm so grateful to have a healthy neck right now!


[From a Seattle visit a couple of years ago.]

** My friend Dania is coming to visit! Did I tell you this already? And for part of her visit, we'll go up to Seattle where my friend Dan can drive us around. I'm not crazy about driving in big cities, and since he's from there, he knows his way around. Dania's never been, so it'll be extra fun to see the sights.

** Tomorrow I'm headed to the coast with some friends. It's supposed to be nice, although the weather isn't exactly matching up with the forecast yet (how surprising). I'm sure it'll be fun, though. I'll hopefully get a photo or two.

** Next weekend I'm making dinner for friends and taking some family portraits. I'm trying to think of what would be convenient and delicious to make and bring over. So far we have decided that Italian is probably a good food category.

So that's how June is shaping up. I love summer and wish it were longer than three months (well, more like three days in the PNW). I can't believe the year is almost half over! It can't possibly be only four months until I'm yet another year older. :/ But I don't have to think about that now. Have a magical weekend! Here are some photos from the past week.





It's so green lately - I love it!






** PS I'm doing yet another photo project (since apparently I have ditched my Food 365 project) with a couple of friends. It's a Project 52 and my theme is Everyday Life. I hope to post each week with my chosen photo of some normal part of life that may or may not have an artistic quality about it. Stay tuned and wish me luck.

7 comments:

  1. I missed your blogs this week, too. I glad you were able to catch me up on your life. I didn't know Dania was coming for a visit. I'm glad for both of you. (Well, all 3 of you, since Dan will be able to enjoy company, too.) I love the picture of the geese swimming in the sky! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rose shot is to die for. It's perfecT!! Tell me what lens do you use usually? (I'm sure I've asked you this before...)

    You'll have fun in Seattle! I want to go and see it someday too.

    And I'm sooo excited that you are joining us on the 52 projecT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the first flower photo and the path one. You know I love path photos! : )

    Thanks for the shout out! I'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the seattle photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mom! Yes, I'm surprised you hadn't heard of Dania's visit through the grapevine. I'm excited!

    Samantha - Thanks! I mainly use a couple of lenses, but I think I used my Sigma 30mm/1.4 for that one.

    Dan - Yes, and I'm very glad since I like taking path photos. :) Thanks!

    Shannon - Thank you! So now you're okay with using your name? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful! Good grief, what kind of tree is that? It must be huge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jessica!
    Does the Sigma 30mm 1.4 fit on the Xsi? (I think we have the same cameras?)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...