Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What I'm Into (July 2014)



July started off busily, but then slowed way down. When I think back to 4th of July weekend, it feels like months ago! I did a pretty good job of blogging my activities, but here's a quick recap of life between work and sleep:


  • 4th of July was spent with friends (Dan, Mariel, Jon) at my apartment. We played games and ate sandwiches and strawberry shortcake.
  • The weekend continued on with various activities that I discussed here.
  • I went to Portland on my own to visit new places. I blogged about that here.
  • Mariel and Jon came over for more games.
  • I visited some local gardens to get out of the house and take pictures.


Books
I didn't read a ton, but enjoyed what I did read (listened to):
  • Daddy's Gone a Hunting by Mary Higgins Clark - MHC is one of my unguilty pleasures. Her books are all the same, and I can joke about them, but there is something really comforting in listening to Jan Maxwell read them to me on my drives. They make me feel less lonely!
  • Thin, Rich, Pretty by Beth Harbison - My first experience with this author, and it was a good one. I'm looking forward to reading more of her books!
  • Last Night at the Chateau Marmont by Lauren Weisberger - This is the author of The Devil Wears Prada, which I have not read (only watched), but I have read a couple of others by her and enjoyed the escape into a totally different kind of lifestyle than mine. This one may be my favorite of hers so far.
TV/Movies
X-Men was the only new thing I watched this month, and I already talked about that. My wireless is currently down (due to a creepy/gross ant infestation of my router!), so I have been on a small break from Netflix lately, which is probably a very good thing.



Games
I played all of my usual favorites with friends, but Dan also introduced me to the Jet Punk website where you can take lots of quizzes. It's really fun and educational! We did several over the phone, and I tried many on my own time as well. As for apps, I've been playing a lot of Pet Rescue Saga, and recently downloaded Red Herring, a fun categories game that I heard of through 7 Little Words (which I believe my sister told me about).


Music
I realized Colbie Caillat came out with a new (partial) album, and downloaded that right away. She's one of the few artists where I'll automatically purchase her new albums when I come across them. So far I like Blaze and If You Love Me Let Me Go the most.

Food
I got hooked on what I call Hash Scramble this month. It's nothing new, I just cooked up hash browns, sausage (my favorite is Trader Joe's chicken breakfast sausage), eggs and cheese together in one pan (but not all at once--in stages) for a hearty breakfast casserole that doesn't require the oven. The best part is that it reheats well and I was able to make it ahead and have it for breakfasts (actually, any meal!). I ended up fixing it so much that I got a little burned out on it.



 I also made these Parmesan zucchini rounds a few times, because they're sooooo delicious.

Products
  • For the past few months I've been using Dove dry shampoo. I've tried several kinds of dry shampoos, and this is the best one so far--at least for me. The smell is fine, the white residue comes off easily, it's only like $4, and it gives my hair some needed volume/texture to make it easier to fix. Plus, it actually does what it's supposed to do--it absorbs oils between washes so your hair doesn't feel as dirty. 
  • I bought my first pair of glasses from Zenni and they're great. They're so inexpensive, and everything was processed and shipped fairly quickly. See below for a picture.





Instagram
I've gotten much more into Instagram and Twitter lately, and am happy for any new followers. Some of my Instagram highlights this month:



Misc
  • Roses - I've been in love with roses lately, particularly since many are in bloom right now. I had a great time at the rose garden in Bush Park and took tons of pictures that I posted here.
  • A/C and fans - It's been fairly hot (for us) here off and on over the past month. I'm pretty tired of it, but am thankful for a/c at work, fans at home, and relatively cool nights.
  • Upcoming plans - I'm so excited about the fact that I get to spend Christmas with my younger sister's family and my parents! I haven't had Christmas with kids in awhile, and am thrilled that I'll be with my nieces. I'm also hoping to visit my older sister for Thanksgiving in her new hometown of Houston, TX (Pasadena, to be specific).
Bonus: Sister Love. My niece posted this in Instagram the other day and I had her send me a copy. Can't wait to spend Christmas with these two and their sisters and parents!

6 comments:

  1. Great post!

    Colbie Caillat did a cover of "Breakeven" by The Script, to the chords of "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman. They play it a lot on one of my satellite radio stations. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I don't know the song Breakeven, but I should give it a listen. And of course I always liked Fast Car. It seems like she does lots of random songs on the side--I semi-lied when I wrote this post because I notice she has 1 or 2 singles that I didn't purchase yet since I had just gotten the other album.

      Delete
  2. Bluebells!

    I was wondering if you knew about Colbie's new album; I kept meaning to ask. Guess you did! Super cute pic of you with the new glasses : )

    I'm such a guy when it comes to shampoo. I actually kind of dread buying it because there's so many different ones and I don't care what they really do; finding a basic shampoo always seems like a chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're all in the know about music!

      Thanks! :D

      Oh well hows about I get you a 6-pack of shampoo for your birthday so you don't have to buy any for 14 years?

      Delete
  3. Good stuff!!

    I was given a copy of The Devil Wears Prada but I've already read it twice and have limited book shelf space. Want it?

    That hash scramble sounds wonderful... has brown casserole-type dishes are on of my absolute favorites and yet I rarely have them because A: I feel like hb are expensive (although I just recently found them for cheap at Aldi (which is owned by Trader Joe's) so I really don't have that excuse anymore) and B: I eat way too
    much of it bc I'm all in love with it. And there's way more than you wanted to know about me and hash browns.

    And I'm on my phone and can't get the cursor to go on the other side of this "it" for some reason to make it go away. -''-> it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been "into" a lot! I love your flower photos! The blue flowers (I don't know what they are called) are sometimes used in floral arrangements that need a real blue. If my memory serves me well, they wilt pretty quickly, though. They love being "free".

    I love that picture of your nieces (my granddaughters), too. We are excited to have you all here for Christmas!
    I'm glad that you are still planning to travel to Pasadena, TX for Thanksgiving. I'm sure that will help lift your sister's spirit!

    Thanks for this entry. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...