Monday, October 14, 2013

10-14

The other day, Pami asked me about doing something for my birthday. After I assured her that I do enjoy get-togethers and making it special, she quickly planned a girl gathering at her place for tonight. I was so surprised that everyone invited was able to come (plus Becky's son :D)! With the short notice and week night (the only day that seemed to work in both Pami's and my schedule), I wasn't expecting many to show.

Tonight was really fun. First, we had delicious enchiladas de Pami, and then we got to play a couple of card games! A somewhat rare treat for me (unless I'm playing on the computer). First we played Nertz (I'm terrible at it) and then I taught the girls 31 (Thirty-one?), a game I only learned in the past year or two. I even got presents!! I totally didn't expect that.

We also had some yummy ice cream (my requested dessert) and conversation. It was an awesome way to make my birthday week more festive. To any of the ladies reading this, thanks again for putting up with me. :) Sometimes, I really don't know why, but I very much appreciate it.

PS Happy birthday today (10/14) to my dad!

5 comments:

  1. Fun!

    We play 31 in my husbands family all the time. My first thanksgiving with my husband's family, we were playing and my (then future)Mother-in-law didn't like the card I played and called me a screw-bie! (I was the newbie and I screwed up her play. ;)) My MIL is as sweet as can be so we laugh about her calling me a screwbie all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Pami hosted a party for you. (Thank you, Pami) That was so sweet. It looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad so many people were able to be there!

    I was curious what Nertz is, so I looked it up. I saw the picture on Wikipedia and thought, "That looks just like Pounce..." Sure enough, "Pounce, Nerts, and Peanuts are alternate names that are often common substitutes when referring to the game of Nertz."

    I've never heard it by any other name, but I love that game! Playing Pounce was a family tradition when we got together with my dad's side of the family. My uncle Steve was fast and ruthless at it.

    I don't get a chance to play it anymore. Now I'm going to suggest it at Thanksgiving and see if I can get anyone to join me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good time and got to play some cards! Now to make a more regular game night ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, everyone!

    Emily - Haha! Screwbie. :P Yeah, at first I wasn't sure how I felt about the game, but it's kind of grown on me. It's quick and simple, which is nice sometimes.

    Mom - Yes, she's nice about that stuff. :)

    Laura - When you pasted that quote I realized that I was just assuming it's spelled Nertz, like I had seen that before. But maybe my friend spells it with an s. :) I've not heard of Pounce, though, but now I know! Nertz reminded me of when we played double and triple solitaire as kids.

    Dan - yeah, easier said. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...