Thursday, November 4, 2010

Real Random

I like how Real Simple treats me as if I have done something wrong by not renewing my subscription. Like it's such a huge hassle for them to have to keep reminding me, and I'm this "problem child" who won't renew the first time, so they have to show me tough love with these ultimatums.


Um, do I care if it's my fourth renewal notice? (Obviously I took that photo awhile back.)

At Christmas there was a special where I could get a year of Real Simple for $5. It's always seemed like a cool magazine, and my friend D seems to like it. When I was a teenager I used to subscribe to at least four magazines (Seventeen, Teen, YM and Sassy) and read them cover to cover when I got home from school to find they had arrived.

(Those were the days before the Internet.)

Now my nostalgic side wants to enjoy magazines, so I subscribe to something once in awhile and this is what happens:


I think I've probably looked through maybe two of those magazines. I have kept them, thinking I'd go through them someday, but in the meantime they are just testing the strength of the lower shelf on my Ikea coffee table. I think it's now bowing in the middle.

In other reading news, I got an Amazon package today with some items I ordered with a birthday gift certificate.


More-with-Less is a cookbook I had heard about from a stranger commenting on someone else's blog, and it looked like one I might enjoy. I get most of my recipes from online and then print them off to use in the kitchen, so I thought it might be nice to do things the old-fashioned way and have an actual book. I hope to give you a review on it eventually.

Then the other two are books on prayer that I chose based on Amazon reviews (so hopefully they are reliable!). I have been wanting to learn more about prayer and make it more of an emphasis in my life.

And finally, though it doesn't relate, here's my dinner tonight. I just thought it was so pretty and yummy that it deserved a photo!


Pasta with clam sauce and roasted broccoli.

If I don't talk to you before, have a great weekend! Don't forget to change your clocks.

14 comments:

  1. ...and you didn't invite me over for dinner because...????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, because my kitchen's a mess and I doubted you'd want to drive all the way over. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely recommend The Valley of Vision -- they are awesome prayers to be able to pray back to God and really focus the prayer on scriptural, meaty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle - Oh good, thanks! Yeah, I hear they're pretty "meaty" as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and you didn't invite me over for dinner because...????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, because my kitchen's a mess and I doubted you'd want to drive all the way over. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. That renewal notice reminds me of a used car warranty I used to get offers for in the mail. They finally mailed me a postcard announcing my "FINAL CHANCE" to buy a warranty. I rejoiced. No more junk mail!

    But they lied. It was not the final notice. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I know.. if only they meant it when they said "Final notice!" They don't realize how they get our hopes up. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! So true. I DARE them to actually cancel your subscription though. Subscriptions are so low these days that a lot of magazines will just keep sending you new issues even if you don't renew.

    Valley of Vision is a great choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up on the More with Less cookbook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's probably what would happen with my magazines if I even had time to subscribe to them.

    On that note ... if you care to stop receiving those renewal notices, you can send the card back with big letters: "CANCEL" and I think they'll stop sending them. But if you like getting meaningless mail, by all means, don't write cancel.

    Also, please tell me (email if you want) about that cookbook. I'm intrigued for maybe a gift for someone I know.

    The pasta looks awesome. I'm so starving at this moment, too. Have a nice day. -R

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brenda: Oh I know! I got Woman's Day for like two years because I signed up for a free year. I expect they'll keep sending these at least for awhile. :P

    Marie: Oh yeah? So I take it you like it? :)

    R: I just don't like going to the effort of putting the envelope in the mail box. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. More With Less is a great cookbook! This is the first time I've seen it somewhere than in my mom's kitchen. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Got the book for C for Christmas (More with Less) along with two others from same "series" and he absolutely loves, loves, loves them. Thanks for inspiring his favorite gift from me this year! -R

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...