Sunday, November 21, 2010

Gingersnaps



I've been in a bakey mood lately, so I ended up making a bunch of these to share with friends (they have to be given away quickly). My mom gave me the recipe a couple of years ago, and she probably got it from my grandma or someone. I don't know where it's originally from.

INGREDIENTS

3/4 c soft shortening
1/2 c golden brown sugar, firmly packed (I was out of brown sugar this time and used this substitution, which actually simplifies the recipe and I tasted no difference)
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
1/4 c molasses
2 1/4 c sifted flour
1/2 t salt
2 1/2 t baking soda
1 t ginger

DIRECTIONS

Preaheat oven to 350. Combine shortening, sugar(s) and egg in mixing bowl; beat until fluffy. Add molasses and beat well. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Chill dough thoroughly (not required); shape into 1" balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place 2" apart on greased baking sheets. (Optional: you can take a fork and make a stripey or crosshatch print in these to flatten them a bit.) Bake 12 to 15 minutes (I personally prefer to bake them for about 11 minutes and then let them sit out so they remain softer). Makes 4 dozen.


(I couldn't decide on a photo again.)

5 comments:

  1. They look yummy! Like, really yummy! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope these are the less snappy version! Knowing you, I think they probably are chewy and delicious. They look great. -R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Yeah they were more chewy/soft. I'm not into the crunchy kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious and put me more in the mood to make my traditional Christmas gingersnaps! :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...