Monday, May 3, 2010

Babies

I know most people hate baby animals, but I'm one of those unusual women who finds them adorable! So when I saw and photographed some ducklings today, it made me curious about which baby animals I've managed to photograph over the past several years. It's always a treat (and that sentence sounds really dorky for some reason--how old am I?). It turns out I had forgotten about a lot of them. Now I'll share several, though I'm sure there are others that I just forgot to look for.

WARNING: Most, if not all, of these photos aren't great quality. This isn't about good photography, okay?


We'll start with today. How cute are these little babies following their mom? They look like they're all wearing wraparound sunglasses. You'll have to excuse the mother's messy hair. Seconds before this photo was taken she was *ahem* "involved" with a male duck. Yes, right in front of the children. Somehow I doubt it was her idea, seeing as though she already has a litter in her care.


Okay, this will be in random order from here on out. Here's a baby horse that lived near my workplace a couple of years ago.


Llama, obviously. (Do I need to even caption these?) I can't help the backdrop here, although these days it's trendy to photograph people in front of random old stuff, so maybe this photo was just ahead of its time.


I'm not a cat person, but there's no denying kittens are cute! These ones are wild and scared, so it was an accomplishment to get photos of them.


Yeah, two kitten photos because I love this one. Nice paw rest! There were actually six kittens total in this litter (that I know of), and I took a jillion photos until the mom came back.


A Canada gosling. I saw these on my lunch break one day. I should go back to that little lake and see if there are more.


Oh sure, I can post another!


One of my mom's Pomeranians. They can be super annoying, but they are definitely one of the top five cutest puppies. Maybe even the top three.


Based on this sampling, you might wonder if I can ever take a photo that's in focus. Sheesh, woman! Anyway, there was some construction going on at work one year, and it scared out various animals like this baby opossum. Sad fact: I accidentally hit an adult opossum with my car once. I don't know why he thought walking across the street, at night, with oncoming traffic was a good idea.


Baby birds are cute but sort of not, you know? Anyway, this nest of birds was under some strawberry plants at the patch where my friends and I were picking berries.


Finally, a baby toad. My parents used to get tons of them at their house, but now I don't know if they still do. I miss them! Both my parents and the baby toads. ;) I managed to get my then 3-year-old niece to brave up and hold this toadlet long enough for me to get a photo. I was impressed with her and the toad for not jumping sooner!

What's the last baby animal you saw?

8 comments:

  1. Okay ...
    A) I didn't know llamas counted as people.
    B) The gosling photos are especially cute -- and I don't even like geese.
    C) Last baby animal I saw ... um ... a cricket. Does that count as an animal? Okay wait, um, besides something in your photos ... gosh, it's been a while because I'm having to think hard. Oh, it was some kind of baby primate at the zoo. But I can't remember what kind. Not a chimp. Something with a weirder name.
    -R

    ReplyDelete
  2. R -

    A) Yes, they do.

    B) But baby animals don't count as the adult version! Duh!

    C) Maybe orangutan? ;) (Whoa, apparently I spelled that right on the first try!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. C) I think it was DeBrazza's Monkey. -R

    ReplyDelete
  4. They can be super annoying, but they are definitely one of the top five cutest puppies.

    Well I can half agree!

    Love the baby bird photo. I remember the little kitty cats that were at your work. Not as cool as SnapDragon, but pretty cool.

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan - so you're saying you think they're in the top 2.5 cutest? Or top 10--half as good? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man I LOVE these!!

    who doesn't love (or like) baby animals? they're crazy!

    the last baby I saw was a baby deer a month or so ago. Deer are so rampant here; I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Fayelle! I'm pretty sure most people like baby animals. :) Yeah, I like that I see deer more often too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...