Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Crab Bisque


I wanted to mention a recipe that my dad tried on Christmas Eve-Eve. It was sooooo delicious. You might even be able to substitute something other than crab if you don't like it or it's too pricy.

When I think of bisque, I think of something very pureed, and I typically don't go for that kind of soup. This is still hearty with pieces of potatoes and crab, like a good clam chowder, so I liked it a lot.

My dad used some American cheese slices because he couldn't find the Velveeta at the store. I know it sounds weird, but I think it just helps with the texture of the soup. It did not taste cheesy.

Anyway, here's where he got the recipe: Winning Crab Bisque

I'll paste it down here, too, in case something happens to the page I linked you to.

INGREDIENTS


2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup reduced-fat margarine
4 cups diced peeled potatoes
2 cups fat-free milk
4 cups fat-free half-and-half
10 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cut into 1-inch cubes
1 can (1 pound) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

DIRECTIONS

In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, celery, green pepper and garlic in margarine until tender. Reduce heat to medium; add the potatoes and milk. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally.

Remove 1-1/2 cups of the potato mixture; mash and return to the pan. Reduce heat to low. Stir in half-and-half and process cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Add the crab, salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).

3 comments:

  1. It was delicious! I'm guessing it made 9 servings for us, but they were hearty (meal-size) servings.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that sure looks good! And it's a nice picture too : )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...