Sunday, August 4, 2013

Spaghetti Casserole


Happy 7th day of posting for 7 days! I win! And now for a recipe post, since I haven't done one in quite awhile.

I'm going to do something that often annoys me about some recipe blogs: I'm going to talk fondly about the dish before I post the recipe.

I'm sure I'd had this casserole at church potlucks before, but the earliest time I remember eating it was during one of the most memorable weekends I experienced as a teenager. My dad used to organize a weekend retreat in Tahoe for interested adults at our church. I don't remember how this all happened, but one of the years many of our family friends were planning to go, leaving lots of kids (mostly teens) parentless for the weekend. We had a large swimming pool at the time, and it was decided that the kids were welcome to come stay at our house. It sounds funny now that I think about it: imagine 10 (give or take) teenagers spending a summer weekend together unsupervised. Parents sent their kids over with food, money and overnight bags, and we had an awesome time swimming, talking, ordering pizza and basically having a big coed slumber party. Don't worry, it was all fairly innocent--I wasn't a party girl, and I was kind of in charge much of the time. I think my older sister was working, or maybe it was after she moved out. (Do you like how I said this was a memorable weekend, but now I can't recall the details?) I remember swimming in the middle of the night, and one kid, Mark, thought it was a good idea to cannonball into the pool at 3am.

Anyway, my friend Dania brought over a 9x13 of this spaghetti casserole that her mom made. It was so good! I remember heating up squares of it for various meals during the weekend. If lasagna and spaghetti had a child together, it would look something like this, except smaller at birth. At some point I got the recipe and half-memorized it before losing it. Dania just re-sent it to me, and I see it's a little different from how I made it in the pictures, but it's pretty much the same idea. Alter as you wish. I'll put my added comments in non-bold.

Here are the ingredients. This picture is helpful, otherwise you wouldn't know what the ingredients looked like!

INGREDIENTS

1 lb hamburger (I used 1.25 lb of ground turkey)
3/4 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can condensed cream of tomato soup (Campbell's doesn't make this anymore
--interesting!--and I used 2 cups of pasta sauce instead)
1 soup can of water (I didn't do this, but I did add about half a cup of leftover chicken broth I wanted to use up.)
1 mashed clove garlic
1 cup cheddar cheese grated (Oh please--I used at least two cups!)
1/2 lb spaghetti cooked according to package directions (I used the full 1-pound box, and I didn't use the package directions ;))
I also added a small can of sliced olives (drain the juice, obviously)


DIRECTIONS

Brown hamburger, onions and bell pepper. Add soups, can of water and garlic. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and the cooked spaghetti. Place all in a 3-quart casserole dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

I was SUPER HUNGRY by the time this came out of the oven, so it's kind of amazing I even took this picture.

Cut that bad boy into squares and enjoy. It's great reheated, and I imagine it freezes well, too.

11 comments:

  1. Olives are a great addition!! I'll have to add them next time. I usually use either tomato sauce or regular tomato soup. I bet the spaghetti sauce would work well too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so pictures were awesome. Your humor kept me laughing as usual. I try not to eat a lot of pasta these days, but seeing this post makes me crave it RIGHT NOW.

    I wonder if I could do sort of a Paleo version of this using zucchini or spaghetti squash or something. Ahh, it all seems too troublesome. I'll have to talk to C and see if he'll make some. I just really don't like cooking. Too bad I like eating so much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are the ingredients. This picture is helpful, otherwise you wouldn't know what the ingredients looked like!

    I know! I was confused about some of those exotic ingredients : )

    Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, I love this post. I was LITERALLY laughing out loud!!! You have great written and photographic wit! (Wait! I'm still laughing.)

    R, appreciated your comment, too. I don't know about a Paleo spaghetti casserole!

    Thank you for this fun post!!!

    Love, Mom

    PS Spaghetti Casserole IS great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dania - Good to know about tomato sauce/soup. Those would probably be a little cheaper.

    R - Thanks!

    Dan - It is delicious! I'm about to heat some up now.

    Mom - Thanks! I don't actually know what's funny about it, but I'm glad you were entertained. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a nudge to blog some more ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Dan! :) Yeah, I guess I sort of took a hiatus once my 7 days were over. Maybe I'll post something again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Minus the olives, this looks like perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fayelle - I didn't know you didn't like olives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, it's been 10 years since I've tried an olive so I could have changed but I'm old and curmudgeon-y and don't wanna give them another chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fayelle - That's fine! More for me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...