Saturday, August 31, 2013

Don't miss it, don't even be late


Today I went to the state fair with my friends Pami and Nancy. I purposely drove separately, knowing I'd be all faired out long before they were. They go together each year and have a long list of exhibits and booths to visit. I like to check out just a few things and then be done with it.

Sometimes I associate fairs with headaches, because I remember going as a kid and probably getting dehydrated after being in the heat all day, spinning on rides. Fairs aren't my favorite place to be, but in small doses they can be pretty fun. I no longer want to go on the rides, but I like seeing the different animals and checking out some contests (and, okay, maybe wondering aloud what the judges were thinking when they picked certain winners).

I did have a fun time, but I have to admit that one of the highlights of my afternoon was coming home. My feet were sore (this morning I was like, "Oh these sandals will be fine!"), my outfit was uncomfortable, and I had put in over 10,000 steps in the heat. (Oregon heat, which is wimpy compared to many states--my tolerance has lowered since moving here.) Walking through my door with the knowledge that I could change into soft clothes, drink iced tea and hang out on my new couch was an awesome feeling. Relaxation is so much better when it's earned, like eating a delicious meal when you're really hungry.

Speaking of hungry, I am! I'll post more fair photos another time.

Did you go to your local fair this year? What's your favorite exhibit?

7 comments:

  1. I haven't been to the fair in a long time and it's not like my favorite thing ever, but you're right it can be fun under the right circumstances : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get to go this year... but when I do go... I like to see the Table Setting exhibits. Oh I'm such a nerd. :)

    I kinda like to see the sheep, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan - Yes, in limited doses. :D You should go sometime.

    Tina - You're the person I heard of that from! I have a friend who entered that in her fair this year (in Ohio) and won first place! I thought we did it at ours but I checked and couldn't find it. I'm wondering if they didn't have it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to a fair in years! When I was in high school our marching band used to march at the California State Fair. I would have soooo much fun on our
    "free" time playing the carnival games (or watching someone else play them, as my funds were limited) and going on a few rides. Those things don't thrill me so much now.

    We used to take you girls to the Yuba/Sutter Fair and CA Expo, of course, but since you've all grown up we seldom go.

    I definitely like your reference to the song from the stage play State Fair! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom, you and Dad don't go to the YS fair anymore? I thought maybe you liked to walk around seeing exhibits, but maybe you got burned out from all the years Dad worked at them.

    Yes, I figured you'd be one of the few to know what the subject line was about. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been to the fair in a long time but now that N is noticing them and the rides, next year will probably have a fair in our future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fayelle - Definitely! She'll love it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...