Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Everyday


I haven't intentionally taken a blogging break, but after my 7-day posting spree, I guess I got a little burnt out. (Burned out?) I'm still not in much of a blogging mood, but I might as well ease back in with a little update on the shallower parts of life.

Lately, I've become a TV addict. I don't actually have any traditional TV service, but Netflix is serving me well. Watching something during meals has stretched into watching several somethings in the evening and on weekends. When I first started watching Drop Dead Diva, I was only semi-into it and felt like it could be improved. Now, more than 4 seasons in, I'm wishing I could be roommates with the characters. I will definitely miss it when it's over. The show is a little like Ally McBeal and Legally Blonde combined. It has its flaws, but I've grown attached to it. You might want to check it out (as long as you aren't a lawyer or work in that field--the inaccuracies would probably drive you crazy).

I've also just started watching Revenge. It's not my usual style, but I'm intrigued, and it's set in the Hamptons with lovely scenery.

What are you watching? As always, I welcome Netflix recommendations.


[My old couch - farewell!]


[Greetings, new couch!]

As 99% of you already know, I bought a new couch! I've never had a new one, and mine has needed replacing for quite awhile now. I kept putting it off, but came across a good deal with free delivery and went for it (after visiting it three times before deciding :P). My old one has served me well, and has been in my family for more than twenty years. I was getting tired of adjusting the cushions and falling through gaps, though. Plus, the look of it is outdated (though it was the coolest back when my parents bought it). My new couch is a more neutral shade of chocolate brown, and the best part? Recliners on each end! Being a couch potato is sooo much easier now!

I should note that the whole couch process went very smoothly and I'm so thankful. Part of the reason I never replaced mine was because I didn't want to deal with the logistics. But between free delivery from the store and free pickup (for my old one) from Union Gospel Mission, it all worked out. Both sets of couch movers were very nice and cheerful despite having to maneuver a couch around tight corners and on stairs.

Recently, I tried a couple of new recipes. One was my own version of Chicken Piccata. I combined some different ideas and ingredients to create a delicious and untraditional version of the dish. The chicken was AWESOME. I brined it first, which I hadn't done before, and I think that worked with other factors to get a very tender and flavorful end result. I prepared a lemon cream caper sauce and the chicken was served over mashed potatoes. Whenever I've ordered Chicken Piccata at The Cheesecake Factory I've had them sub the pasta for potatoes, and I think it works very well with the dish.

I was also able to make use of some of the large, sweet blackberries around my neighborhood. I still have some in the freezer from last year, so this time I decided to make something with the freshly-picked berries right away instead of putting it off. After a little looking, I decided on this cobbler recipe that had good reviews and basic ingredients. It was very easy, and the end result was delicious--not only when fresh out of the oven with ice cream, but room temperature by itself.

My reading life has been a little rocky. I have started several books that I didn't enjoy enough to finish, and finished a couple that were just okay. However, I just picked up five new audiobooks from the library yesterday, so I'm excited to dive into them after I finish my current one. I'll never finish all five before they're due, but hopefully I can renew some, and I'm betting one or two aren't worth listening to anyway. Still, I feel like road tripping just to have lots of book time!


This was the sunrise the other day. Kind of nice.

Happy anniversary to my parents on Thursday! :) 43 years. They won't see this since they're camping, but maybe when they get back.

This weekend I'm headed to the state fair, so I may have some photos to post later. Bye!

12 comments:

  1. I bet that chicken is DELICIOUS. I need to try brining sometime. The cobbler looks really really good too : )

    Man, your blog post loads up instantly on the new computer. It's nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me interested in Drop Dead Diva now! :) Perhaps I will give it a look! :) I really enjoyed White Collar.

    Also, Love the new couch. Welcome! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan - I'm glad viewing my blog is a better experience! I hadn't considered that it might be frustrating to load. It makes me appreciate your viewing it all the more. :)

    Tina - Oh yes, I think you'd really like DDD. Check it out! Do you guys have Netflix? Is White Collar on Netflix?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen Drop Dead Diva. I've seen most of the episodes of Revenge though. I'm trying to think of another series to recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grr, my phone did something weird. I don't know if my comment went through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dania - it went through! :) You may like DDD--give it a watch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. White Collar IS on Netflix. I put DDD on our instant cue. That is the wrong cue, isn't it. :)

    Anyway, I got on AGAIN to admire your new couch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tina - Let me know how you like DDD, and I'll try to check out White Collar sometime. I'm still in the middle of Revenge, so I'll wait until I finish that probably. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are becoming quite the chef! The chicken looks delish!! The photo of the blackberries is beautiful. The cobbler looks great, too.

    Dad and I picked blackberries on our anniversary at the campground. We had them on the Nutty Coconut ice cream that Dad brought. (purchased at "BR", of course.)

    We had a wonderful/relaxing time camping. Beautiful views, our cozy trailer and near-perfect weather certainly contributed. (We even had a thunder storm on Sunday night.) We ate too much and didn't get a lot of exercise. It was great!

    Speaking of beautiful views, The last photo of your lake. WOW!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mom - Thanks! The chicken was great. I'm glad you had a nice time camping. :) We've enjoyed some lightning and thunder, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That last photo is so beautiful.

    Your couch is the couch of my dreams. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fayelle - Thank you! And yeah, I've been enjoying the couch! I just hope it lasts, as it wasn't exactly a super high-quality (high-priced) choice.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...