Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sugar cookies with buttercream frosting


Here is the recipe for the cookies and frosting I made for my party last weekend. I got this recipe from my friend Serena, who adapted it from a recipe on Allrecipes.com. They're so good--nice and soft. I'll just paste everything in her words...

Best Sugar Cookies Ever

6 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch salt
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour milk (add 1 T of vinegar to regular milk and let sit for 5 minutes)
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, stir together 4 cups flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in baking soda, sour milk, beaten eggs, and vanilla. Stir as little as possible, and add the remaining flour as necessary to make dough thick enough to roll out.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Cool on baking sheets.


Buttercream Frosting for Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
8 cups confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

In a mixing bowl, cream butter. Beat in sugar and vanilla. Add milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Food coloring can be added, but if the frosting is too watery, add more confectioner's sugar.

6 comments:

  1. Well, they look beautiful. I don't know what recipe C uses ... he's planning to do some spring cookies this year though, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look yummy! Interesting that the cookies have nutmeg. I'm a nutmeg fan :). The frosting recipe sounds pretty much like what I use. You are so energetic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. R - I'm sure there are lots of great recipes. Just as long as they're soft!

    Mom - Yeah, Katrina says they taste like eggnog (in a good way, I think/hope!) because of that. I think it gives them a bit of richness but it's good and subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for a comment unrelated to the cookie post ... but I just had to tell you how much I really like your new spring banner. Very cute!! Nice vibrant colors, too.

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mom, I love nutmeg in cookies too! Those sound and look great. Love the first pic of them especially!

    ReplyDelete
  6. R - Thanks! I like it okay, but am kind of underwhelmed with the overall look of my blog right now. I need to work on something better.

    Dan - Thanks! They are photos from a few years ago. I didn't remember to take decent recipe photos this time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...