Tuesday, February 26, 2013

40DOT: Days 9-11


It's been feeling springy here, with [slightly] warmer temps, a little bit of sun, and a lot of rain. I know I already showed you some snowdrops, but now they are opening more, and I had a better camera when I took these. I'll include a few other springy photos in this post so you can know what's growing around here so far.

On with my thankfuls...

Day 9 (Feb 22): Friday was another half-day for me, due to an appointment, which is always nice (especially since I become practically useless on Friday afternoons). I had purchased some gnocchi the day before and decided to make it into soup for dinner. I based my recipe very loosely off an Olive Garden copycat recipe, and I was surprised it turned out so tastily!

I'm not a big soup person, so I don't have much experience making it. But here's basically what I did for this: Cut up some chicken breast and cook it in olive oil and butter in a large pot on the stove. Add garlic and chopped celery and stir. Add enough flour to coat the chicken/celery mixture and stir it right up. Add chicken broth and any spices you want, like Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and add gnocchi. Boil as long as the package says the gnocchi needs to cook, and then it's ready and you can let it simmer or serve it immediately. Add salt/pepper to taste, and top with some Parmesan. Delish.



Day 10 (Feb 23): Some days don't have anything particularly awesome that stands out, but I try to remember to be grateful for stuff I take for granted--like having the freedom to sleep in and do whatever I want to on weekends. I've gotten so used to singleness that sometimes I forget how often I get to make decisions with only myself in mind. Without a husband and kids to consider, I can think about my future differently than many people my age. Being alone definitely makes me sad sometimes, but the freedom that comes with it is something I'm sure I will miss, if I marry.


Sundays don't count, but I thought I'd share a couple of photos I took of some "wildlife":


I had seen this guy swimming across the lake, and initially thought it was a river otter (like I had seen a few years ago). But I started noticing the differences and, after some research (my sister R helped me), I learned it was a ferret. (I know it's dumb to mix up an otter and a ferret, but since when do ferrets swim across "my" lake?! Since never.) The ferrets I typically see have dark markings on their face--I had never seen one with this coloring. I'm assuming this one either escaped from its owner, or it was set free when they couldn't care for it. So basically, I was enthusiastically photographing the equivalent of a stray cat.

(PS I don't mean to offend ferret owners, but after reading up on them, I don't understand why anyone would want one as a pet! But if you do want one, go adopt from the shelter in Oregon City. They have a ton, apparently.)


Day 11 (Feb 25): My nephew Z turned 11, and I thought about how much I like that kid. I also talked with my friend Michael on the phone, and I'm thankful for him. He has put up with my whining for many years now, and gives me great spiritual advice.

What were the highlights of your weekend?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm slacking these past couple days! I haven't even updated Z's age!! :)

    I love these photos ... and I think I especially like the sparkliness of that one with the white/pink flower. The lighting is just beautimous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these photos, too. I think ferets are not allowed as pets in California. (I know gerbils are illegal to own) They are very cute in your picture, though.

    Last Saturday I went to Grandma's house to sort some things. There is a lot to be done to empty her house. I really didn't get much done, but it was quite emotional.

    It was really good to get back to church on Sunday, since I'd missed a few Sundays here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. R - I still have not sent Z's gift! What is wrong with me?!

    Thanks! :) I'm excited for more photo ops as the season progresses. I'm planning to rent a macro lens for some practice.

    Mom - Thanks! Yeah they aren't allowed in CA and I think one other state.. OH? Or maybe more.

    I'm sorry about your trip to Grandma's house. :/ That doesn't sound very fun.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...