Sunday, March 18, 2012

Graphic Redesign: PowerPoint Slide

I'm back with another redesign! Thanks so much to all who commented (whether on the blog, in email, or otherwise) with nice words. I'm really happy you liked the information!

You can read my disclaimers about this type of post here.

Today I have another PowerPoint slide from M. My last post was also for a PowerPoint slide, if you missed it. Heeeeeeere we go!

ORIGINAL:


MY UPDATES:


I'm going to touch on some of my changes but not overwhelm you, so please feel free to ask if I don't explain something you're wondering about.

1. There are several directions one can take with the background and design. For simplicity, and to better show the differences, I stuck with basically the same background graphic again. I did some Photoshop things to it in order to resize it for PowerPoint (7.5" x 10"), and I also changed the hue. I felt the blue was a little sterile and uninviting. Since the slide is aimed at people who aren't very computer savvy, I wanted to be sure there was some warmth in the slide so it would create a more cheery and fun association with something they might currently feel is frustrating or dull.

(If I were to spend more time on it and change it more dramatically, I might incorporate a photo with happy adults using a computer in order to give it a more personal and human feel.)

2. I also faded the background a bit and toned down the corner decorations so they wouldn't be stealing attention away from the message.

3. Again, I emphasized the main message of the slide, which is that there are computer classes. I also moved it down because I think it's more comfortable for the viewer when the main point is located closer to just above the middle of the page. (This is something I do subconsciously and never really thought about, but I noticed recently that it's one of my habits with certain pieces. I have a theory on why, but won't overload this post with it.)



5. I put the courses in a setup that more resembles a class schedule, since that's essentially what it is. I think it makes it a little easier to read and understand. One of my main goals in design is to make something easy to understand.

6. Changing the times (2:00-3:00, etc.) to have additional zeroes was mostly to help distinguished them from the dates above. There are times I wouldn't use the zeroes, so it's not about right or wrong. It really depends on the piece.

7. I used gray instead of black because the black seemed too harsh with the soft shades of orange.

8. I made the bottom line in the same orange font as the title mostly to help balance out the slide.

I think those are my main changes. Any questions?

If you have a piece you'd like to submit for me to possibly makeover, please email it to me at [email removed--please comment here]. Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. *raises hand* I have a question! How did you get the gradient lines for "class schedule" part? I really like that detail but I'm not sure how to replicate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie - Good question! I used InDesign, which has a tool for that, but PowerPoint and most programs have something similar. In PowerPoint, you can create a box of color and then go into the format menu and have it gradient into transparency. Does that help? In Photoshop there's a way to fill with a gradient (either of multiple colors or from a color to transparency). I can't give a whole tutorial in this comment but I can help you with it in an email or something if you need more info. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, okay. I hadn't thought of using the gradient tool on a separate box like that. I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it the new version. Also, I was fooled by the font in the original slide or maybe the blue background -- my eyes went to the title and I thought the rest of the slide was going to be about "Basic" classes (as in programming or whatever) and I was immediately turned off. And while I don't necessarily need these particular introductory classes, the new slide makes me want to read a little further down to find out about the Basic classes -- where I would soon learn the classes are not to teach "Basic." If that makes any sense. My point is ... I'm more likely to read the second one in full, where the first one stopped me at the title. I'm somewhere in between requiring Basic classes and BASIC classes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, R! Yeah, a class on BASIC sounds pretty boring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. : ) So this time I looked at the first slide and tried to figure out what should be done to it. Obviously I didn't have the slightest clue :p Then I scrolled down and saw the new one and went, "Oh yeah, that of course!"

    These are really fun, thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...