Friday, October 24, 2014

Finals

I can't believe October is almost over and that my birthday has past. I know a lot of people don't like to make a big deal about their birthdays, but for me it's a special time, and I can't help but feel a little deflated after it's over. I'm like a kid, I guess.

Anyway, mine was great. The weather was very nice--shorts weather in October!--and I spent the weekend with friends, playing games, relaxing, taking little walks, and not thinking about work or regular life. If you follow me on Instagram, you saw some of my Birthday Week meals, gifts and happy moments.

I didn't blog quite as much as I had hoped to this month, but then part of it is I don't have a lot of new photos to show you. But I remembered that there were a few that never made it here. Some of the final photos before my camera died on me.

Did I tell you that I was up to see the eclipse on October 8? I didn't set any alarms, but I've been having some insomnia issues lately, so I took advantage and stood outside at 3:30am taking pictures. This is a tiny bit out of focus, but you get the gist. The white dot to the bottom left of the moon is a planet, I believe.

I learned some different techniques for droplet photography and tried them out with some success. I still need to improve my setup, but at least I got some more practice.

I just like the smooth glossy surface of the water in these.


The other day I experimented with glitter after seeing something online that I wanted to try. I wasn't thrilled with the turnout, but I might try it again sometime. It's kind of interesting, at least.

I also tried some photos of objects under club soda. I was underwhelmed with the results, but I'm still glad I tried it. These leaves have a metallic appearance due to the bubbles.

This was kind of cool, although I needed a larger container. The poor sunflower was kind of stuffed in there.

I already have some ideas and photo plans for when I get my new camera. I have researched and chosen the camera I want (Canon 70D) and just need to save a bit more money so I can buy it. I hope that I won't have to wait too-too long, but in the meantime I feel okay taking a little break. There's always the work camera in case of emergency!

6 comments:

  1. I love the entry photo in the post! Was the droplet bouncing back up from the surface of the water to get this affect? That is such an intriguing look at the ordinary.

    You are quite a dedicated photographer to get up at 3:00 am to photograph the moon. I realize you were having trouble sleeping, but to go ahead and get out of bed takes a lot of effort, The results were well worth it, though.

    I enjoyed the photos taken in the club soda. The leaf photo appears to have been taken in the rain. I do like the way the leaf appears to be made of a thin metal. The sunflower seems to be made of tiny glass beads.

    This post was a good dedication to your camera that gave up the ghost in honor of Halloween. :D

    Thank you, Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom! I'm not sure whether that was the droplet bouncing or a second droplet. I tried different speeds of drops coming to see how it would change things (but I had a hard time catching most).

      Well, I knew the next eclipse wouldn't be until April when it's more likely to be cloudy, so I felt I should take advantage of the clear sky. I had originally planned to set my alarm but changed my mind at the last minute and decided that if I woke up, I'd go check on it, but otherwise I needed sleep.

      Delete
  2. I really like the club soda photo! And everything looks even better on the new monitor ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I remember looking at some of my photos on my parents' monitor and they looked sooo much better and more vibrant than I was used to! :D

      Delete
  3. I really like that sunflower! I also like that you try different photo stuff. :)

    -Fayelle

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...