Thursday, March 20, 2014

San Francisco (Part 5)


Home stretch! This is the last post about my Christmas SF trip. If you want to see previous posts, here they are:
San Francisco (Part 1)

San Francisco (Part 2)

San Francisco (Part 3)

San Francisco (Part 4)


Our final stop before leaving town was Alamo Square Park. That's where you can see Postcard Row/the Painted Ladies, and it's in the opening credits of the show Full House.

We got an awesome parking spot right next to the park (we're the blue car), and had this view of City Hall from the closest intersection.

Like much of San Francisco, this park is on a steep hill. I'm not sure any of it is truly flat. It's a bit of a climb to get up (especially on a semi-empty stomach...Dania and I had only had breakfast), but the view gets better with every step.


[Click image for a larger version.]

I took several pictures of the cute houses surrounding the park, Painted Lady or not.

I took some of these pictures for my friend Dan who was recently commenting on how boring most house colors are. I love the dark teal.

Some of the house details were really pretty.

Love the butterfly gate that Dania brought to my attention.

This was a great stop. Even though we were tired and hungry, I enjoyed the simplicity of stopping at a park to admire the view. Free entertainment with plenty of photo ops. I would love to get more photos sometime. I think it was also nice to know that we were headed home after this. Driving around SF can be very tiresome, and it's not always easy to locate a decent bathroom (plus find parking) or know where to go for reasonably-priced food. I am a bit wimpy when it comes to big city tourism and adventure, and I think we both had our fill at that point.

Despite leaving town before rush hour, it was Friday and there was quite a bit of traffic getting onto the Bay Bridge.

Eventually we were able to stop in Vallejo to get gas and have some dinner, and I snapped this picture of Six Flags.

The sunset was really pretty and I loved this very California scene (this was on December 27th) near the gas station.

And that's it! I hope you enjoyed this little photo tour. I have a lot of thoughts about photography in touristy locations and my expectations vs. reality, but I'll save them for another day. Thanks for looking. :)

4 comments:

  1. I love that big panoramic one!!

    Yay for the butterfly gate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! I feel like I've had a celebrity sighting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, now THOSE are some nice house colors. Doesn't that look 1,000,000 times better than boring old beige after beige after beige? I like the light(er) blue one best.

    Those pictures seem extra sharp and crisp! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you were able to get those sharp and beautiful pictures of the painted ladies. They are difficult to describe.

    Thanks, love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...