Sunday, March 23, 2014

Oil and water

First, I just want to say that I've had a very good weekend full of the right ingredients: a clean place, time with friends, time alone, lots of sunshine, crafts, photography, good food, a good customer service experience, and now even a blog post! Happy spring to me. This is the time of year when I generally get the most motivated and optimistic. :D

☼ ☼ ☼

Today the temps on my deck were so nice that I thought I'd try a photo experiment that I had seen on YouTube back at Christmastime. At the time I just thought, "Eh," but as I considered it more, I figured I might as well see what I came up with since it's simple and doesn't require much prep or time.


[Note my very professional setup.]

Bascally, all you do is put some oil and water in a clear dish, hover it over something colorful, and take some macro photos of the circles and designs that show up. It's nothing magical when you consider the mechanics, but I really liked the end result.

The images resemble various objects like planets, marbles...

...or ocean sunsets (with lots of suns).

Mostly, I just like it for the colors and lines.


I tried different items to add color. Beach towels, blankets and pillowcases. This Care Bear pillowcase provided the most variety and color.

I focused on the hearts instead of the oil circles just for fun.

Summer

I moved the camera to try different lighting situations.

This kind of looks like a little footprint! Except six toes.


I may try this again sometime! You should give it a try--many point-and-shoot cameras have a decent macro setting, and you don't necessarily need a macro lens anyway. (Although it helps.)

This evening I'm going to take a walk and try to get back in the habit of evening walks with audiobooks, because I enjoyed it so much last spring. What have you been doing this weekend?

6 comments:

  1. LOVE THESE!!! I wanna try! I may even try with the macro setting on my phone. So very awesome. -Fayelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I want to see your results, if you do! I am curious how easy it is with various types of cameras.

      Delete
  2. Love these! The Care Bear ones were the best ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! The colors are so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dad had told me about all of these photos. I only saw a few because I wanted to sit and look at the computer screen myself. Well, I didn't mean to take so long to get back to the computer.

    I love these and, like Mr. ongames, I really like the Care Bear one. Who woulda thunk? Thanks!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...